Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Paella Vegetarina & Gazpacho Oriental (Mega Pix Intensiv

Paella Vegetarina & Gazpacho Oriental (Mega Pix Intensiv

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
jfm0830 well done
well done

April seems to be "Grilled Paella Month" around here, with me making my third Saturday paella in a row. This paella was also accompanied by another gazpacho, this time Gazpacho Oriental which added a few different ingredients to a traditional gazpacho. Both came from the Paella, Paella cookbook. What is nice about the gazpacho, is that you make it the day before, refrigerate it and pull it out just before you're ready to serve your meal. This let me concentrate on the paella and made for a less complicated cook. I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the prep story. But before I do I will jump ahead to the end results.

I am probably the biggest carnivore of the lot and I loved this Vegetarian Paella. It had great flavor, and wide variety of flavors. It also had the best soccorat of any paella I've made. It was extra crunchy on the bottom and I think this was because I cranked the heat up on the grill little bit. The day was very cold and windy, with temperatures barely getting out of the 40s. So I had dialed up the heat a little bit to compensate. After three paellas in a row, I thought this run was over. To my great surprise as we were starting in on dessert, I was asked what paella I would be making next week. I asked if people weren't getting sick of the paella and they said absolutely not. Each one is a different from the one before and they also make great leftovers. So it looks like my paella run will continue. Onto the pictures:

On Friday I started the gazpacho Oriental. The ingredients consisted of: medium tomatoes, green bell pepper, cucumber, zucchini, vegetable broth, Tabasco sauce, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, and olive oil.

The tomatoes were cored quartered, and seeded and the cucumber and zucchini were sliced so that they would fit into the food processor. The veggies were processed in two batches together with half the liquids.

In this picture the first batch of veggies is in the soup tureen, and the second batch has just been processed in the food processor.

Here is a close-up of the second batch of gazpacho in the food processor. Yes it's as tasty as it looks. the gazpacho gets refrigerated overnight and is served cold the next day together with some garnish.

It is now Saturday and I've gathered the ingredients for the paella. The ingredients consist of: green, red, yellow, and orange bell peppers, medium tomatoes, onion, garlic, scallions, frozen peas, lemon juice, quartered artichoke hearts, vegetable broth, Bomba rice and olive oil.

Everything is out at the grill and the grill has been preheated to medium heat plus an extra notch on the temperature knobs. This was due to the extremely cold temperatures for this time year, and the high winds. The tomatoes and onions have been diced, and the bell pepper was cut into strips.

The vegetable broth is gently warming on the side burner. With the high winds, I was keeping a close eye on things to make sure the flame didn't blow out.

Step one is to heat olive oil in the paella pan until it is shimmering.

Then the onion and garlic were added and sautéed.

The next step was to add the rice. This was an interesting switch from the normal sequence where I would've expected to be sautéing the bell peppers next. But instead the bomba rice went on just after the onion and garlic and was cooked for about five minutes.

The rice was cooked for five minutes, and then the bell peppers and diced tomatoes went on.

Here is a close-up showing the great color this paella took on after the bell peppers and tomatoes were added and were thoroughly mixed together.

The heated vegetable broth has been added and the ingredients of been thoroughly mixed and distributed throughout the paella pan. Now the lid goes down for 20 minutes and the paella cooks until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.

While the paella is cooking for 20 minutes, I returned to the kitchen to work on the artichoke hearts. The quartered artichoke hearts are drizzled with lemon juice just before going onto the paella.

It has been 20 minutes and the paella is just about done. The smell out in the backyard was truly amazing!

The next up was to add some thawed frozen peas and the artichoke hearts onto the paella, Which is cooked for an additional five minutes.

Here is a close-up of the newly added peas and artichoke hearts.

After five minutes of additional cooking the paella is done. I could tell by the black stains around the perimeter of the paella pan that it was going to have a good soccorat (crusty rice at the bottom).

Time to eat! The paella is served right in its pan, which is brought straight from the grill to the table and placed in the grass mat holder. The gazpacho came out of the refrigerator and went straight to the table with some lo mein noodles and finely chopped scallions serving as a garnish.

The gazpacho was very tasty and had a little more cucumber/zucchini flavor than the gazpacho we had last week. Until recently the concept of cold soup was alien to me and I really couldn't imagine it tasting as good as it does.

Here's a close-up of the paella. You can see the burn marks on the perimeter of the paella pan which were a sign I was in for a treat in terms of achieving a good soccorat

This paella was very tasty despite having no meat in it. One sign of success was that people were asking what paella I was going to make we're next week. So it looks like I'll be having paella once again.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:45 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Awesome looking Paella Jim!!!
I love all those colors and all the veggies. I didn’t know CENTO had artichoke hearts. I like their tomato products. I’ll have to look for them around here.

BTW, did you know that Char Broil has a Paella set up now
http://www.charbroil.com/multi-purpose-cooker.html
It’s half the price of the one made in Spain.

The Gazpacho looks great too. This is the perfect time of the year for all this great food. You always make the food look soooo good. :D

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:20 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Said it before about your paella and I'll say it again. That is simply awesome. I have the book, and the pan, and the grill, but simply wow. Great work.
Makes me hungry. And again you had me at best soccarat ever...

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:45 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks guys! The sights, sounds and smells of making a paella can't be beat. It is one of my favorite things to cook because of the smells. When you are sauteeing the veggies and browning the meat it smells so wonderful. But that doesn't hold a candle to the smell you get when you walk back outside after the paella has been cooking for about 20 minutes with the lid down.

Z:
This was my first time buying artichokes (only second time eating them). Like you I like Cento's tomato products and was happy to see that was one of the brands I had to choose from. That is a cool looking paella rig you found there. I'll bet you get a nice soccarat with that. It amazes me the various setups you have or find for outdoor cooking. You know for some of the paellas I've made with the paella pan, 2 saute pans & a sauce pan I think I'd still take my 6 burner gasser. Some of those paellas really taught me who to multitask.

As for the presentation: it has been scientifically proven that we also eat with our eyes. The same food presented in a different manner or setting will be perceived and taste different to people. So I try my best to make good tasting and good looking meals.

GS:
Once again really glad to see ya back!. It makes me shake my head when you like my simple single paellas. You who make no small plans and cook up great looking batches of food that can feed a small army. I need to figure out what caused that improved soccarat. I did have the burners higher because it was in the 40's, but I would have figured the grate temp was about the same due to the colder air.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:07 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

NICE!!! You just sealed the deal for me. I'm going to get me that paella pan. :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:47 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
NICE!!! You just sealed the deal for me. I'm going to get me that paella pan. :wink:
Wel allowl me to suggest that if you do get serious about a paella pan, you buy a stainless steel one. They seem to be easier to clean and they definitely are easier to maintain than the cast-iron version. My first paella pan was cast-iron and I was very unhappy with it. Despite oiling my cast-iron pan, it was rusting within two weeks of my buying it and using it for three paellas..

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:17 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I'm gonna get the one that you and Grand Scale recommended. Looking forward to it.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:44 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
I'm gonna get the one that you and Grand Scale recommended. Looking forward to it.
I'm in the process of writing a blog entry for my website called "Paella Pointers". Where I've done three paellas in a row I'm sort of acutely aware of some of the Do's and Don'ts of paella making right now. Check my site in a day or so in the 2012 blog entries for something called "Paella Pointers". It might help you as a newbie and also prevent you from making some of the same mistakes I have. That way, you can find your own unique mistakes to make. :wink:

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:31 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Here is the direct link to the blog entry I just finished called Paela. Pointers I described in my post just above this:

http://blog.grillinsmokin.net/blog_main ... inters.php

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Return to General Discussion