Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Too much work

Too much work

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:13 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Work has become a four letter word..... :evil: :evil: I've been working 7 days a week and it is getting a bit old. I was, however, able to get a little time this afternoon to fire up the Weber and cook a Tri-tip:

Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:23 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Mmmmmmm tri-tip! Now there's something I haven't made in a while. I'll have to do something about that real soon as yours looks real good. Glad you were able to find some time to make something on the grill.

Jim

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:55 am
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

looks good your makeing me hungery may i ask what is tri tip we may call it something else here
TIMS BBQ

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:39 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

timbarber84 wrote:
looks good your makeing me hungery may i ask what is tri tip we may call it something else here
Tri-Tip is a triangular shaped piece of meat towards the bottom of the sirloin primal. In some areas it's also called Triangle roast. The cut weighs around 2 1/2 to 1 1/2 pounds and there is only one per side of beef. In some areas of the country, like California, tri-tip is very popular and is very easy to find. In other parts of the country it is unheard of. Here in New England tri tip is very hard to find. Since there is only one piece per side of beef you don't get a lot of tri-tip roasts. So in many parts of the country, tri-tip is ground down for stew beef or use in ground beef. I've been told by a couple butchers here in New England that some of the tri-tip actually gets shipped out to the West Coast where it's more popular and they can get more money using it that way.

If you can get your hands on tri-tip, it is definitely worth doing so. It is the best of two worlds: it has the taste of state and the consistency of a tender roast. The only downside to tri-tip is that it has very little fat and you must to be careful not to dry it out.

Hope this answers your question.

Jim

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:13 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great job, Jimmy. Looks like the tri-tip was quite juicy...I assume that after the photo shoot your poured the juices back over the meat?

I need one of those grooved cutting boards...

Brad

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:29 am
QJuju well done
well done

That is way too much work... nice looking tri-tip. I haven't made one in a while-- maybe I should get on that! :)

Good eats right there.

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:36 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Beautiful! Haven't had tri tip in quite some time either. You cooked that perfectly. My favorite is Steven Raichlen's salt crusted tri tip.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:05 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Thanks to all for the compliments.

Brad,

Yes, I did pour the juices back over the meat. I normally cook to an internal temp of 132 and let it rest for 10-15 minutes or so. My wife was a little anxious to get dinner on the table, so it only rested for about 5 minutes or so, hence the juices all over the cutting board.

Dyal,

I'm going to have to try the salt crusted tri tip some time. It has been brought up a few times and I just haven't gotten around to it. It is going to have to wait a bit until work slows down :( I think I was lucky to get a little time this past Sunday to cook this one.....
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Tue May 01, 2012 12:31 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

Good to see you scored a little bit of time to fire up something on the grill.

Post Fri May 04, 2012 3:45 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

I know the work bit - Not doing 7 days but putting in 60+ hours in 5 day week. So many things that I want to try but tri-tip is high on my list.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon May 07, 2012 10:00 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
I know the work bit - Not doing 7 days but putting in 60+ hours in 5 day week. So many things that I want to try but tri-tip is high on my list.

+1. I've got a 60+ hour work week as well, but that's over 5 days. Still, I'm glad you were ale to take the time to show us a great looking tri-tip, Jimmy!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion