Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Off Topic--Completely Devastated...

Off Topic--Completely Devastated...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:04 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
+1 to what Eddie said... Gotten mine that high several times before... Weird. Still waiting to hear back. I bought a Weber Smokey Joe to hold me over in the meantime (my CG's grates are shot)... :)

+2

Hopefully you get some good news on this soon. Really sorry to see this happen. As to the comments about this being their flaw & falling apart, this is the first time I've ever heard about something like this happening.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:45 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Good news! Big Green Egg is covering it. I will have to pay freight though, b/c my local retailer wasn't due for another shipment for at least another month. I don't wanna wait that long, so I'm going to eat the $90 and have my lid on Monday. :D

Lessons learned: 1) I'm never going to allow it to reach 1,000 + deg temps again, just in case... 2) I'm going to place a wrench out there with my grill to make sure that band is tight at least once per week...if not everytime. :?

Until Monday, I'll keep on giving the little Weber Smokey Joe some mo' love. :wink: And YES, it's OK to pick on me now...I'm over it. :lol: I know Brad must have a good one for me.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:27 am
QJuju well done
well done

I am glad to hear that...

It seems to me it was more of an assembly issue than a high heat dealio. I know too many people that have their eggs over 1000 and never have an issue. Including myself when I clean the egg.

I took the advice from a long time egger... I torqued the nuts on the band till the bolts bent. Then I put a stainless steel 2nd nut on there and snugged it down. They tell me the double nut is the way to go... who am I to argue! :lol:

Glad you got your egg on the road to recovery.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:08 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

QJuju wrote:

It seems to me it was more of an assembly issue than a high heat dealio. I know too many people that have their eggs over 1000 and never have an issue. Including myself when I clean the egg.

I took the advice from a long time egger... I torqued the nuts on the band till the bolts bent. Then I put a stainless steel 2nd nut on there and snugged it down. They tell me the double nut is the way to go... who am I to argue! :lol:

Torquing the nuts till the bolts bend? Very bad idea - you end up stressing the metal of the bolts and one day the heads just snap right off. Trust me on this one - I've done it in my workshop, and once is enough. Tightening the nuts till you bend the bolts is just asking for the same problem to happen again when the bolt heads let go - and they eventually will.

True story - I had a mechanic once do the same thing to my wheel nuts on my vehicle without my knowledge. My front passenger side wheel assembly came off at 50 mph some time later as a result and almost destroyed my vehicle and me with it. So yeah - don't overtorque the nuts.

The second idea, though, is a good one. It's called a jam nut and it keeps things nice and tight. It's a bit more work when you eventually need to tighten the nuts again since you need to remove the outer nut to tighten the inner one. However, the extra work is worth it.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:47 pm
d_holck well done
well done

QJuju wrote:
They tell me the double nut is the way to go...

Words of wisdom.
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:48 pm
d_holck well done
well done

AND delighted to hear they're covering it!
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:58 am
mbshop well done
well done

for $90 i would have told them to stuff it. warranty is warranty.
george
spam, can't live without it.

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:39 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

mbshop wrote:
for $90 i would have told them to stuff it. warranty is warranty.

Warranties are not all alike. They may have specified that shipping is not covered.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:19 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Well I made sure to check my BGE's bolts today before firing him up. Actually found a loose one that's a part of the lid assembly.

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:00 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

mbshop, I'm not complaining. I just want my BGE back in working order. :) I could have waited a month or two to have it shipped to my local retailer, but I didn't want to wait that long. It's worth the $90 to me to get it sooner.

smokin'gal wrote:
Well I made sure to check my BGE's bolts today before firing him up. Actually found a loose one that's a part of the lid assembly.

You better believe that I'm now going to be checking mine more often. I've been pretty good at checking them, but I also do a lot of high temp cooks. I'm thinking that the frequency of high temps may have played a roll in this whole predicament. :? I'll be giving the BGE a thorough pat down after each wok or pizza cook... :lol:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:56 am
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

glad its working out for you
TIMS BBQ

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:07 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

How hot does the band get? Loctite 271 (aka "Red") threadlocker is good up to 500F so it might be a good thing to add when tightening the bolt.

Brad

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:13 am
QJuju well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
QJuju wrote:

Torquing the nuts till the bolts bend? Very bad idea - you end up stressing the metal of the bolts and one day the heads just snap right off. Trust me on this one - I've done it in my workshop, and once is enough. Tightening the nuts till you bend the bolts is just asking for the same problem to happen again when the bolt heads let go - and they eventually will.

You may believe it is a bad idea, but the instructions are directly from BGE and every egg I have ever seen that was assembled correctly is this way. Tightening them less will surely lead to a lid crashing on the ground.

I don't want to argue the point, but it is the proper assembly method for an egg even though it may be bad juju in many other applications.

This video shows the bolts and illustrates that it is Big Green Egg Specs for the bolts to bend. If you dont want to watch the whole thing skip to about 6:25 to see the bolts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t88yEEL ... ure=relmfu

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:52 am
sroach well done
well done

+1 on the glad it's getting replaced for you Dyal. and I would have paid the $90 top get it quicker.

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:34 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
How hot does the band get? Loctite 271 (aka "Red") threadlocker is good up to 500F so it might be a good thing to add when tightening the bolt.

Brad

I'm not sure how how it gets. I don't think I'll add any though, because I don't want to do or add anything that the BGE company doesn't recommend. I doubt it would void the warranty, but I'd prefer to play it safe. I would imagine though that the band would get close to, if not more than 500 deg.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion