Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoked then seared chops

Smoked then seared chops

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:44 am
lostarrow well done
well done

One of my favorite cooks is to build a small fire in one end of my grill , put meat in other end for 30 min , then sear over high heat.
My cooker is long so with a small fire the far end is less than 200F
Cooker main chamber 36 X 16 in.

New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:48 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You're defimitely on to something, lostarrow. Nice lookng chops too! :D

I do a fairly similar thing with my CG Outlaw. I add a foil spacer to block off about 1/5 of the charcoal tray at the chimney end, heap the coals right up and add a couple of hardwood chunks. This gives off a blazing heat and then I just build a 3-zone fire over the othe 4 grates.

This technique acts just like a sear burner on one of the expensive gas grills, and then I can transfer the food to the rest of the grill to let it finish over moderate heat. It lets me do a regular sear, a reverse sear, or anything you please.

And what's best is that you can do this while cooking the rest of your meal at regular temperatures too. If you need to close the lid, just open the chimney damper all the way and the extra heat goes right up the chimney and doesn't overheat the rest of the grill. You don't need to cook other foods at different times and fuss with dampers to get the grill up to temperature.

As much as some folks don't like the CharGrillers, this is one of their strong points. It's also why I love my Outlaw. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:09 am
lostarrow well done
well done

If I had no cookers and a limited amount of money , I'd get a chargriller outlaw & I could easily live with it being my only cooker
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:06 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nice looking chops! I would give my CG more love if I had replacement grates. Chargrilla was my first true love. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:36 am
Griffin well done
well done

Nicely done. I've done a similar cook following one of SR's recipes from his book back when i still had my offset. I think the chops had a maple bourbon brine....I could be wrong. Anyway, the smoke and then sear worked out really well. Good job.

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:15 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Nicely done. I've done a similar cook following one of SR's recipes from his book back when i still had my offset. I think the chops had a maple bourbon brine....I could be wrong. Anyway, the smoke and then sear worked out really well. Good job.

He has a couple like that... I agree the Maple Bourbon brine sounds like one of them.

Return to General Discussion