Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BGE Question

BGE Question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:58 pm
sroach well done
well done

Ok guys, it's my year to buy a BGE..

Chargriller is pretty rusty these days and it's time to consolidate. LOL

Been reading a lot of your posts and doing some research but two simple question seem to escape me..

1. If you leave the coal in the bottom of the pit to reuse, is it a long process to light it and get it ready for cooking? I am used to putting net new coal in the chimney and dumping it in the WSM or the CG duo.

2. When smoking how do you get access to add wood chunks?

3. Bonus question, I am thinking about the large with the table, a dealer near me has a BGE table with stainless steel on the top. Unless you guys say don't waste your money.

Thanks.

Post Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:40 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

I think it depends on the method of how you light your lump. I just put some paper towel dipped in veggie oil and light that way so it takes longer than say a weedburner or an electric starter.

I put my wood chunks in a circular fashion and hidden in the coals as well on long cooks!

I love my table and would be lost without it.....

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:46 am
tbk420 well done
well done

Basically, what Eddie said.

I regularly re-use unburned lump. Just stir it around to knock off the ash, and add any new lump you want. I use a MAPP torch to light, and no problems yet. The airflow allows for quick lighting.

I also bury a few chunks of wood thoughout the lump, for longer cooks. Otherwise, you can normally fit them through the sides of the platesetter if using one, or I just lift up my AR and throw them in (a good pair of welding gloves is almost essential with the Egg).

IMO, you'll want the table. I like to have area next to the smoker to place things and work on stuff while cooking. I guess you could place your own table next to the nest, though. I just like the self-contained nature of the table, I guess.

You're going to love your Egg - it changed my BBQ life.

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:10 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Agree with what the others say here. As far as lighting the old lump that's left over from a previous cook, that's actually quicker than when you're using new lump. The old lump will already have burned off the VOC's, so it will be burning clean faster than new lump does. Just make sure to stir up that old lump well to let any remaining ash & very small pieces of lump fall through the charcoal grate and you will not have any airflow problems, then light as usual.

The eggs are very airtight, even with a pretty shot gasket, so you're not going to go through a lot of wood chunks or charcoal. If you're smoking, just mix a few chunks in with your lump and you should be good for the entire cook without having to add any.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:08 am
QJuju well done
well done

Grats on getting an egg... as the others have said you are going to love it. I use the BGE starter cubs and they work fine for me. There is at least 100 ways to successfully light an egg so pick which ever suits your style.

I love my table and it is probably the best addition I made. I got just the regular table as the stainless top/lattice table had just come out and we weren't sure if we could get one by the eggfest. I also was surprised at how much they wanted for the SS top. My wife suggested that sun glaring off of it might be an issue. I still think its pretty cool and sort of wish I had done that. Having said all that I am tickled with my table. As TBK indicated it is wonderful to have that space next to the egg while you are cooking. I even put apps on it while I am cooking. Folks just wander by and pick them up. I had several coats of poly put on it and I love the way that looks too.

I am with the others on the wood... I sprinkle it in layers as I add charcoal. Sine I regularly re-use charcoal too, sometimes I will just toss a chunk or 2 on top if it is a 2nd or 3rd burn. I think that is one of the huge benefits to the egg. I jested that fuel efficiency would pay for the egg in the next decade... I think it might be sooner now.

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:53 am
sroach well done
well done

Thanks for all the responses guys this is really helping me with my decision.

QJuju,

you mentions a couple coats of poly (I assume you mean Polyurethane) do you have to protect the wood table or does it come treated and you have to keep up with it.

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:46 pm
QJuju well done
well done

sroach wrote:
Thanks for all the responses guys this is really helping me with my decision.

QJuju,

you mentions a couple coats of poly (I assume you mean Polyurethane) do you have to protect the wood table or does it come treated and you have to keep up with it.

Yes... polyurethane... The tables did come unfinished, maybe that has changed. I shop at Steepleton's now and they build their own tables so I don't see BGE tables anymore. The hardware store recommended a penetrating stain and one other place said to leave it unfinished and it would weather nicely. I didn't like either solution so I had 3 coats of oil based polyurethane applied. The night before the eggfest, someone tried to buy my table. :)

Kind of a long distance shot, but the porch was just built and is unfinished so you can see the color of the table.

It even has done duty as an Ice Cream station! :oops: :shock:

A little closer shot...

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:57 pm
sroach well done
well done

QJuju,

You did an absolute awesome job that close up shot is looks great. Do you think you have to apply a new coat every year or two, I see your egg and table are semi covered under your pergola.

I went to a local dealer today and saw the table with the stainless steel top, I think I really like that.

I got some prices and wouldn't mind sharing to fact check if that's appropriate for this forum?

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:28 am
QJuju well done
well done

sroach wrote:
QJuju,

You did an absolute awesome job that close up shot is looks great. Do you think you have to apply a new coat every year or two, I see your egg and table are semi covered under your pergola.

I went to a local dealer today and saw the table with the stainless steel top, I think I really like that.

I got some prices and wouldn't mind sharing to fact check if that's appropriate for this forum?

The first year there wasnt any roof, but I kept the BGE cover on it when it wasn't in use. Now it is totally under roof, except what blows in, and I still keep it covered. I have been told that water can be bad for the finish but sun is worse. It's in shade most of the time either from the roof or the willow tree. This is the beginning of year 3 and I expect to put another coat on it some time this year. The oil base has held up real well.

I totally agree... that stainless steel top and the lattice table looks amazing. In some ways I wish I had done that to this day. I seem to recall others posting prices of other things in the past, but if you are concerned send me a PM and I will be glad to help any way I can.

Oh... I still want to do this. Not sure who posted this one, but man do I like it.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:52 pm
sroach well done
well done

Yeah I love that egg table that looks awesome..

So these are the numbers my local dealer gave me, would love to know if they are high or not.

Large Egg: $867
SS Table: $818
Plate Setter: $64.99
Cover (table and egg): $100

Delivery and assembly of the egg and table: $75

Total: $1925 (plus tax)

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:14 am
tbk420 well done
well done

sroach wrote:

So these are the numbers my local dealer gave me, would love to know if they are high or not.

Boy, that seems a bit steep. I got my L for 749 last year. Not sure about a SS table, but most non-SS tables are significantly less. You can definitely find a cover for less, IMO.

And I did not have to pay for assembly - just picked it up at the store already assembled.

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:15 am
sroach well done
well done

tbk420 wrote:

Boy, that seems a bit steep. I got my L for 749 last year. Not sure about a SS table, but most non-SS tables are significantly less. You can definitely find a cover for less, IMO.

And I did not have to pay for assembly - just picked it up at the store already assembled.

Tbk, they did say the non SS table was 525 I think he said. There is another dealer about 4 miles away maybe I'll do some price checking there as well.

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:24 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:47 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

sroach wrote:
tbk420 wrote:

Tbk, they did say the non SS table was 525 I think he said. There is another dealer about 4 miles away maybe I'll do some price checking there as well.

If I had my receipt near me from last year I could tell ya...But those seem high!

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:04 pm
QJuju well done
well done

sroach wrote:

The platesetter and cover are right in line with the prices around here. The egg and table seem high. The SS table was twice as much as the non SS table so that would have made it about $700. The eggs are still selling for $749.00 around including assembly and delivery. Eggfests are even cheaper.

I dont mind spending money on quality, but I would shop that if it were me.

Next

Return to General Discussion