Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion home pizza layer order?

home pizza layer order?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:46 am
scotts1919 medium
medium

So lately ive been doing a decent amount of homemade pizza cooks. Ive been cooking on the performer and in the oven.

My question is, what layer order do you guys usually use? My layer order is- Dough, sauce, toppings, cheese. Does anybody do toppings on top of cheese and how do you like it?

:D
18.5 WSM
22.5 Weber Silver
22.5 Weber Performer
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:49 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Dough, Cheese, Sauce, Cheese, Cheese, Cheese, Toppings, Cheese, Cheese. The toppings are in there, but they're hidden. Every once in awhile, there will be a pepperoni slice sticking out. :lol:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:43 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

When I made pizza directly on the grill I went dough cheese toppings sauce. Now that I use a pizza stone I go dough sauce sheese toppings.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:09 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It depends on how you like your crust. I find I get a crispier crust if I put cheese fist then toppings and sauce. If you use fresh motz cheese make sure you press it first to get the moisture out.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:33 pm
rogerja well done
well done

I vote for dough, sauce, cheese, toppings. The dough generally get crispy and i like my topping hot, like curled up pepperoni and sausage with a hint of browning.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:50 pm
Griffin well done
well done

I'm in Rogers camp.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:11 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griffin wrote:
I'm in Rogers camp.

+1. I tried it cheese-first and didn't like it as much. But the rest of the comments in this post also really have me thinking about getting a pizza stone too.

It's also got me thinking about building a wood-fired oven too, but that's a whole other story. I need to find a barrel good enough to finish the UDS first! So far I've gone through 6 that weren't good enough (too thin) - 3 of them are now burn barrels in my back yard. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:37 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Canada-
I'm looking at building one too. But I'm looking all steel. So it'll loose heat quicker, but for me for home use, after a few pies who cares. As long as it gets hot and reflects it should work. Or at least that's what I'm thinking.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:11 pm
scotts1919 medium
medium

i think i might give rogers idea a go as i also like the idea of the toppings nice and brown.
18.5 WSM
22.5 Weber Silver
22.5 Weber Performer
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:38 pm
tbk420 well done
well done

Another vote for dough>sauce>cheese>toppings.

Where in the world do the rest of you eat pizza?! :wink: :lol:

Post Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:09 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

CHICAGO!

Return to General Discussion