Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chargriller Kamodo

Chargriller Kamodo

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:30 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

Got a CG for my birthday, it's a insulated metal cooker, made like a kamodo.
Cast iron 19 3/4 in main grate of cast iron & a second tier big enough for a couple chickens.
It'll cook a lot , 6-7 chickens or 6-7 butts.

New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:23 am
sassage rare
rare

6 or 7 butts? Think you're being optimistic :shock:
A witty saying proves nothing.

18.5" WSM
Char Griller Duo w/ SFB

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:33 am
Married_Man medium-well
medium-well

Agreed.

I have this cooker as well and I can't imagine fitting 6-7 butts on it. 3-4 is more like it. I think the raised grate may be too high for a butt or a couple of chickens. The raised grate would fit a single spatchcocked chicken, though.

Congrats on the grill, though. I really like mine.

Just be careful with high-temps. You can potentially damage your grill. Same with all kamado cookers, I believe.

Also, watch the top vent. It will start to peel and flake off onto your food. The manual mentions it will peel, so I expected it. But, I didn't think about the coating flaking off onto my food.

Just curious, did you assemble yours with the turning caster to the front right on purpose? Seems it will make it hard to maneuver around.
CG Akorn - Kamado Kooker
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:07 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

I would say not all Kamado style cookers have bad reactions to high heat. An Egg will get well over 800 degrees and have no impact what so ever on it. I'm assuming the CG is not made out of ceramic like the Egg is so that could be a difference.

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:04 am
Married_Man medium-well
medium-well

I've read posts on other forums of egg owners having problems with their seals and even hair-line fractures after extreme high-heat cooks and that it was a problem with all kamados due to how hot they can get.

When I said be careful with high-heat, I primarily mean attend your grill at all times while cooking at high-heat. If you leave your vents open & unattended while the grill is heating, you can hit temps over 1000d. Likely over 12-1300.
CG Akorn - Kamado Kooker
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:26 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Married_Man wrote:
I've read posts on other forums of egg owners having problems with their seals and even hair-line fractures after extreme high-heat cooks and that it was a problem with all kamados due to how hot they can get.

When I said be careful with high-heat, I primarily mean attend your grill at all times while cooking at high-heat. If you leave your vents open & unattended while the grill is heating, you can hit temps over 1000d. Likely over 12-1300.

You can definitely have problems with any of the kamado style cookers burning gaskets with a high heat cook, due to the high flame. However, I've never heard of problems with cracks of any type with the BGE's in the cooker itself. Only some occasional issues with cracks in the firebox.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:12 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Kenny 13 wrote:
Married_Man wrote:

You can definitely have problems with any of the kamado style cookers burning gaskets with a high heat cook, due to the high flame. However, I've never heard of problems with cracks of any type with the BGE's in the cooker itself. Only some occasional issues with cracks in the firebox.

Oh the gasket is a joke but I think if I did it the proper way my gasket would not have friend when making pizza but who knows. I'm seeing no disadvantages without the gasket as it is.

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:03 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

My 2+ year old gasket is still in pretty good shape, but I haven't done any pizza cooks on my egg yet lol. Done lots of high temp steak cooks though. I figure that if the flames I had coming out of my egg Saturday night didn't burn up the gasket, it would last quite awhile.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:20 am
QJuju well done
well done

Grats!! There is nothing like getting a new cooker!

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:42 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Congrats, lostarrow! I've been thinking of one of these for myself as well. Hope it does a great job - keep us posted. :D

EDIT: I just checked the Lowes Canada site and we've got these now at $348. (And a Weber Performer for $10 less too! Uh oh - and a CG Duo for $348 too - now I'm in trouble).

As a bonus, it also means the Lowes Canada site is now showing prices where they didn't 6 months ago. This means I can just drop by the store and pick one up rather than having to spend 25 minutes looking for staff that isn't there. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion