Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Eggs and ashes

Eggs and ashes

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:50 am
QJuju well done
well done

It isn't a secret that BGE's can clog with tiny bits of charcoal especially on a second or third cook without fresh charcoal. Most of us have a wiggle rod or solve the issue some other way. I found the issue to be especially true with the small as the "drain cover" that holds the charcoal off the bottom of the egg is tiny and has limited air holes. I have read the reviews of the High-Que charcoal grate replacement for some time and they were good. So, I bought two-- large and small. I didn't take any photos, but the product can been seen here.
http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-Charc ... B004XU1FES

I bought mine from Amazon and installed them last weekend. I used both the large and the small last weekend and had increased performance lighting as well as getting up to temp. I did a clean burn on the large after I grilled the chicken as the baste and drippings had, well, dripped. The temp stayed steady for about 2 hours and then trailed off. There is less unburnt charcoal from that burn than in previous similar burns.

There are more reviews and most of you with eggs may have already read them. I just wanted to toss in my 2 cents and say I agree and would recommend this product if asked.

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:05 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Yeah, I need to get one of those. It can be a little aggravating. BTW, be careful with that wiggle rod... I had a backdraft singe my arm hairs while unclogging the grate holes through the bottom vent before. It'll bite ya from the top and bottom. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:48 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

This is the only fire grate that I've used with my egg and I think it works great.

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:28 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Yeah I think I'm gonna buy this one up. It makes a lot of sense....

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:17 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

I have the BGE ash removal tool for cleaning out the egg every now and then. Prior to every cook I take a few seconds and use it to stir up the remaining charcoal which causes any ash to fall through the charcoal grate. Doing this, I've never had ash become a problem and I don't use or even own a wiggle rod.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:25 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Kenny 13 wrote:
I have the BGE ash removal tool for cleaning out the egg every now and then. Prior to every cook I take a few seconds and use it to stir up the remaining charcoal which causes any ash to fall through the charcoal grate. Doing this, I've never had ash become a problem and I don't use or even own a wiggle rod.

Yeah I have that too, however, that doesn't prevent those holes on the fire grate getting plugged with little pieces of lump. Happens quite often on mine.

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:36 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

EddieK1376 wrote:
Kenny 13 wrote:

Yeah I have that too, however, that doesn't prevent those holes on the fire grate getting plugged with little pieces of lump. Happens quite often on mine.

Like I said, it works fine for me. I've never had that become an issue in over 2 years that I've had my egg. I do try to stick with lump that doesn't produce a large amount of ash too in order to minimize any issues with that.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:51 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Kenny 13 wrote:
EddieK1376 wrote:
Kenny 13 wrote:

Like I said, it works fine for me. I've never had that become an issue in over 2 years that I've had my egg. I do try to stick with lump that doesn't produce a large amount of ash too in order to minimize any issues with that.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong it's not the ash that's the issue...It's the small pieces of lump that you won't even see when you stir it up. I was amazed when I did a complete cleaning of that how many pieces of little lump got stuck in those holes preventing maximum airflow. It's not a huge deal cause I still get super temps when I don't do a super clean but this grate will prevent any of that

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:52 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Only time it's an issue for me is when I'm relighting coals that I had previously snuffed out. Seems that certain brands of coal burn down to just the right size to clog up the holes.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:50 am
QJuju well done
well done

EddieK & Dyal +1

Yes... that is exactly the problem. There is virtually no ash with BGE lump so ash isn't the problem. I too have an ash tool for the large and the small and stir etc... It is the little pieces on the 2nd or 3rd cook that cause the issue. Whenever I clean it, usually preparing for an all day cook, I find 4 or 5 holes that have a small piece of lump wedged in them-- got to flip it over and push them out the other way. I do not have a wiggle rod. It is even more of a problem on the small with fewer holes in the drain cover. :) Although there is a big difference in the large and on the first burn. My frustration stemmed from a 2nd cook on the same lump that took 45 minutes to get lit. Way too long for the small. After replacing the grate, putting the old charcoal back in, and lighting it took 15 minutes to be ready to grill. Well worth it.

There certainly isn't anything wrong with the one that comes with the egg. I think I may use them as trivets for hot pans coming off the egg, but I think this is one of the few things I would call an upgrade.

Post Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Apparently BGE has updated thier warranty and using these grates will void your warranty. I am taking mine out... sad, but I love that warranty.

Post Wed May 02, 2012 8:46 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

QJuju wrote:
Apparently BGE has updated thier warranty and using these grates will void your warranty. I am taking mine out... sad, but I love that warranty.

I wonder how they would know :)

Post Thu May 03, 2012 10:40 am
QJuju well done
well done

EddieK1376 wrote:
QJuju wrote:

I wonder how they would know :)

Things that make you go hmmmm.... :D

Return to General Discussion