Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled Leg of Lamb/Twice Smoked Potatoes-Very Pix Intensive

Grilled Leg of Lamb/Twice Smoked Potatoes-Very Pix Intensive

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
jfm0830 well done
well done

This was my Easter 2012 meal. This was the meal where I got back into grilling and smoking after my long lull. But I've got to tell you: When the day dawned, I really had no interest in grilling or smoking anything. But I wanted my family to have a nice Easter dinner so I reluctantly dragged my butt out to the grill & CG. My work outside consisted of a grilled leg of lamb from the KCBS Cookbook called Tabb's Grilled Marinated Lamb and I finally got around to trying some twice smoked potatoes. For the potatoes filling I used a the filling recipe from Weber's Big Book of Grilling for Twice Baked Potatoes. I smoked the potatoes as I usually do, but pulled them 30 minutes before they were done to halve and add the filling. Then they returned to the smoker to finish cooking the toppings.

The meal was very successful. But even after I had it under my belt I still had no interest in grilling. This was very strange and rather upsetting too. When my mother asked me what I was thinking of grilling next weekend, I raised my eyebrow and gave her a "What are you kidding me?" look. As the next weekend approached and the weather was supposed to be quite warm, I started thinking: "Gee it might be fun to make a paella at that". This would be the first time that the weather would be warm enough to use the grill with the lid open the for a lot of the time, like you must do with the paella. The thought of a grilled paella, after many months without, is what reignited my passion for grilling. I will also post those paella pictures, but for now enjoy the Easter dinner pictures below. I will let the captions do the description.

The meat was a 7 pound leg of lamb, which I had the butcher trim of fat and butterfly for me. This way on Easter it was ready for me to go. The lamb went into the marinade the night before and was refrigerated overnight

The marinade, which later got repurposed and used as a finishing sauce, had a lot of tasty ingredients in it: White wine, soy sauce, extra virgin olive oil, cumin, ginger, marjoram, sage, savory, thyme, garlic, lemon rind and lemon juice, crushed garlic, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

The finished marinade

The leg of lamb was sealed in a large FoodSaver bag which was sealed but not vacuumed. The lamb was placed in the refrigerator overnight.

On Easter Sunday the first item of business was to start the baked potatoes. The Russet potatoes were coated with extra-virgin olive oil and seasoned with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. They were then placed on the Steven Raichlen baked potato stand.

The potatoes are on the stand and are ready to go out the smoker which is been preheated to 250°F. The spikes in the stand help hold the potatoes and also help them cook a little faster.

On this day the temperatures were in the high 40s, which was doable but the winds were gusting into the high 20 mile-per-hour range. It was time to break out the welder's blanket to help protect the CG from the winds. Just like the first time I use the blanket, the temperatures held rocksteady. I only had a + or -5° variation during the entire cook.

After an overnight stay in the fridge, the lamb came out about an hour before going on the smoker.

The lamb is out of the FoodSaver bag. The marinade gets reserved and boiled for three minutes. It is then kept warm and will later be used as a finishing sauce for the meat.

The potatoes have been smoking for 2 1/2 hours now and it is time to gather the ingredients to put together the filling for the twice baked potatoes. The filling was made from whole milk, sour cream, Dijon mustard, diced ham, Gruyere cheese, kosher salt and black pepper.

At the 2 1/2 hour mark, the potatoes were almost done so it was time to pull them off the CG, cut them in half and add the filling.

The potatoes have been pulled off the potato rack and have been placed on a wire grilling rack. They've been cut in half and have been scooped out with a melon baller to within 1/4 inch of the skin. They are now ready to receive the filling.

The potatoes have been stuffed and it's time to put them back out on the CG.

A close-up of the stuffed potato.

Meanwhile the grill has been fired up and has been set for medium-high direct heat. The lamb gets direct grilled the entire time, which is a bit unusual, but since the recipe author was from Australia I figured he knew he was doing.

The recipe call for the lamb to be grilled 260°, which seemed a little high to me. I usually grill lamb to around 140°. So I split the difference and took it to 150° I use remote read temperature probes to get accurate readings during the cook. I also double checked with an instant read thermometer after 45 minutes when the remote read thermometer said the meat was done.

150° was actually a good temperature. When I cut into the meat after a five-minute rest, I found I had both rare, medium and well-done sections of the meat depending on the thickness of the leg of lamb at that point.

The lamb gets served with some mint jelly.

The lamb was served on a bed of fresh mint leaves. It was covered with the reserved marinade which was now serving as a finishing sauce.

After 30 minutes on the CG, the twice smoked potatoes came straight off the smoker and onto a serving platter.

Some crusty rolls and my mothers green beans and bacon finish off this day's bill of fare.

A close-up of the lamb platter.

Time to eat

Once again, the meal consisted of the grilled rack of lamb, twice smoked potatoes, green beans and bacon, mint jelly and crusty rolls. Everyone said it was one of my best Easter dinners.

Everyone loved the twice smoked potatoes. I don't know what took me so long to get around to doing them.

The lamb was excellent, with great flavor from the sauce/marinade and nicely charred outer crust. The mint jelly made things even better. Even my father, who is not a lamb lover, loved this lamb. He even took seconds, and he said he would've had more but he was too full.

BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:05 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Way to treat the family! Everything looks great! The marinade looks especially good.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:22 am
QJuju well done
well done

What a great meal.... I love lamb and that one looks very tasty. The missus doesnt care for it... maybe one day. :)

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:10 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Absolutely superb, Jim! Is your KCBS book the 25th anniversary cookbook?

Brad

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:58 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks guys.
ScreamingChicken wrote:
... Is your KCBS book the 25th anniversary cookbook?

Brad
Yes indeed.

Jim

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:47 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I'm finally back to my house after being in Orlando since Saturday. I had to look at these pix on a screen a little bigger than my iPhone... Looks even better now! :shock: I just saw where you didn't vacuum seal the meat with the marinade. Was that in order to keep the marinade from soaking into the meat, so that way you'd have enough sauce leftover with which to baste? That marinade looks really good to me. I'm wondering if it would possibly be a good candidate for a large pork loin? I'm thinking it may be too salty/strong for something small like a pork tenderloin though...What do you think?

Man, I can't wait to give my grill a little sumthin' sumthin' tomorrow... :lol: Been waaay too long for me. After several days, I'm ready to pull my hair out! :lol:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:40 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

Awesome meal and presentation, as per usual. 8)

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:03 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
I'm finally back to my house after being in Orlando since Saturday. I had to look at these pix on a screen a little bigger than my iPhone... Looks even better now! :shock:
You should see it on the retina display on the new iPad. Makes you think you can reach in and grab a slice off the plate. :roll:

Dyal_SC wrote:
I just saw where you didn't vacuum seal the meat with the marinade. Was that in order to keep the marinade from soaking into the meat, so that way you'd have enough sauce leftover with which to baste?
Several reasons for that, although it wasn't what you thought.There was a lot of the marinade left over to use for the finishing sauce. First it would be next to impossible to do it without the marinade coming out of the bag. Normally you put nearly dry food in the bags because the vacuum action would start drawing the liquid out of the bag and this would possibly prevent getting a positive heat seal on the bag. With pulled pork you can roll up a paper towel and put it near the top of the bag to act as a dam, but too much liquid with a marinade. They have canisters you connect via an air hose for liquids or marinading. Second you'd need a helper to hold the bag while you put the bag end in the special slot in the FoodSaver. This is cause you'd need to hold it down below the edge of the counter to keep the marinade from just pouring out, which it would do laying right on the counter. Plus you'd still have the first problem. Lastly while they do have a marinating canister it is not big enough for cuts like this butterflied LOL or tenderloins. The bags you can make as long as you want x 11" wide. I will often press the switch to manually draw some, but not all, of the air out of the bag. When I see the liquid starting to rise to the top of the bag I stop and heat seal the bag. Once this goes in the fridge I just flip it once an hour, and with the good heat seal you don't worry about leaks like you do with a zip-lock or press-n-seal type bag.

Dyal_SC wrote:
That marinade looks really good to me. I'm wondering if it would possibly be a good candidate for a large pork loin? I'm thinking it may be too salty/strong for something small like a pork tenderloin though...What do you think?
I do think it would be a bit on the strong side. You could taste this marinade over the natural flavor of the lamb and the excellent flavor the seared crust had.This is quite a bit stronger than pork. For pork I like marinades that have some citrus in them. Orange seems to go well with pork.

Dyal_SC wrote:
Man, I can't wait to give my grill a little sumthin' sumthin' tomorrow... :lol: Been waaay too long for me. After several days, I'm ready to pull my hair out! :lol:
This is a PG rated website, so I ain't gonna go there. What you and your grill do in the privacy of your own home..... :roll: :roll: Oh & don't post pictures please.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Return to General Discussion