Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion homemade mustard

homemade mustard

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:34 am
jayeffel well done
well done

Not sure if this is a proper site to ask this, but since many here are experts in many BBQ areas, I will ask.

Anyone know a wonderful recipe to make homemade mustard, from wild mustard plants? Many in our area and might try my luck if possible.
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:01 pm
Delta rare
rare

I'm no mustard expert, but a quick google search seemed to produce plenty of possibilities. It looked to me that the hard part would be harvesting enough seeds to make the process worthwhile. How hard is it to get seeds from the plant (assuming you are not in a position to harvest on a large scale)?
Eat and drink well. It's better to die happy than to live miserably.

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:41 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

I haven't looked into it much yet. I saw one recipe for a very small amount of mustard that calls for a few tablespoons of mustard seed, plus mustard powder, which is seeds ground fine.
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:20 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Jay, do you know what variety the wild mustard is? I'm thinking that the agriculture department of one of the major PA universities might be able to give you some insight about the plant itself, and that might help determine if you want to go ahead with the project.

Brad

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:20 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Home made mustard is actually pretty easy - seed, powder, vinegar. You can alter the profile of what you want by type of seed and vinegar, add herbs or spices, etc. Lots of internet sites out there with recipes and sources.
I'm a mustard guy - 4 different types open in the refrigerator - another 10 or 12 on the shelve in the pantry.
When I have "dregs" in the bottom of the jar or bottle, I'll rinse with a little vinegar, add some spices and / or hot sauce and make a mmustard based bbq sauce - I also have a "mother" bottle of this sauce in my refrigerator that I just keep adding to.
Two of my favorite mustards are - my favorite, imported from Cleveland, Stadium Mustard - this is my "go to" mustard and bring back 4 -6 bottles whenever I go to northeast Ohio and Datil Mustard, from Datil Do It, in St. Augustine, FL. If I'm in the St. Augustine area of Florida, I'll bring back 1/2 dozen jars. I've also ordered by the case from Datil Do It a couple of times.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion