Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Asian-style lamb ribs

Asian-style lamb ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:01 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

It's been a while since I've had some ribs and even longer since I'd had lamb ribs. I found a butcher who was able to procure some lamb breast:

I usually use a herbs de provence and garlic rub, but I wanted to try something new. I concocted an Asian marinade and got to work. I took some scallions and a bunch of cilantro, diced them up, and mixed them with a blend of ground minced garlic, dehydrated onions, sea salt, black peppercorn, lemon juice, and olive oil. The mixture was then pureed:

I trimmed up the lamb ribs and applied the marinade, sealing them in a FoodSavor bag to marinate overnight:

After 16 hours of marinating, the lamb ribs were rubbed down with a pepper/garlic/onion powder mix:

Ribs on the BGE after 4 hours:

I used a garlic & green onion teriyaki sauce to apply a light glaze on the ribs:

All done:

I went with some healthy sides, choosing an Asian inspired salad, made with sweet cherry cranberries & pea pods, topped with an orange sesame dressing, and some toasted sesame infused sushi rice:

Dinner is served:

The ribs were pretty decadent, like all fatty foods should be. The flavor profile imparted by the green onion and garlic marinade, coupled with the teriyaki glaze, really complimented the lamb. It was a great change of pace from what I usually use.

I wanted to keep dessert simple and chose to make a green tea-chai smoked gelato. I heated 1 cup of cherry-wood smoked heavy cream, 2 cups of milk, and 3/4 cup of maple wood smoked sugar:

Once the milk and cream mixture was thoroughly heated, I steeped some green tea and chai tea bags in the mix for 1 hour, then tempered 4 egg yolks to make a cream anglaise:

The gelato mix was chilled overnight and whipped up in the Gelato Pro:

I haven't had a waffle cone in a while and figured this would be the perfect way to serve the gelato:

It was like sipping an ice cold chai frappacino next to a camp fire. Refreshing, spicy, smokey, and downright tasty.

Good eats.

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:11 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Magnificent!!! :D

I wanted to keep dessert simple and chose to make a green tea-chai smoked gelato.

You are my mentor. For this to be "simple" is beyond my realm of thought. :lol: Incredible, as always!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:22 am
Michigander medium-rare
medium-rare

Wow, that looks fantastic.

Smokin'gal I bet you could make an amazing meal out of roadkill :lol:
Smoke it like you stole it

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:25 am
jsperk well done
well done

Wow. Amazing as usual.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:36 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Tremendous! The lamb looks awesome...especially the photo that shows that nice layer of fat! :wink:

Brad

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:39 am
Griffin well done
well done

You are a BBQ Goddess!! Bow down before SG!

One question...I always see people vaccum sealing and marinating over night? With the price of the bags, i just gotta ask...is there any advantage over just using a zip lock bag?

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:47 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Thanks for checking out my post and for your comments.

Michigander wrote:
Smokin'gal I bet you could make an amazing meal out of roadkill

Hopefully I'll never have to do that. :D

ScreamingChicken wrote:
The lamb looks awesome...especially the photo that shows that nice layer of fat!

Yep--definitely not health food. :)

Griffin wrote:
One question...I always see people vaccum sealing and marinating over night? With the price of the bags, i just gotta ask...is there any advantage over just using a zip lock bag?

I always buy the rolls when they have big sales. I think the current batch I'm using included 8 of their largest rolls for something like $40. The vacuum helps the marinade permeate the meat.

Return to General Discussion