Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Maverick Competition Drum Smoker

Maverick Competition Drum Smoker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:33 am
Griffin well done
well done

I guess if you are too lazy to build your own drum smoker, now you can buy one from maverick with a remote thermometer...if you want to fork out $360!!

http://stores.barbequejunction.com/-strse-82/Drum-Smokers-Drum-Smoker/Detail.bok

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:10 pm
Murman well done
well done

An expensive twist to the ECB design...
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber 22.5 Kettle
CharGriller DUO w/SFB
UDS - 55 gal

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:23 am
QJuju well done
well done

Interesting... I looked at the Big Drum Smoker brand before I bought my egg. I am sure it does a great job, but I am finished with metal cookers. Something always burns/flakes off and then it rusts and then it needs to be replaced. Love my eggs... :)

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:15 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Murman - I'd say it's a bit of ECB and a bit of UDS. Looks like a fairly decent smoker and the remote therm is a bonus. Plus it says its vents are sized for a BBQ Guru so that's a nice touch.

QJuju - please keep in mind that this is a smoker and not a kamado cooker so comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges. I really wouldn't expect it to grill a steak the way a BGE can, but it would likely do a good job for large smokes.

So it might be the right tool for the right job for those who need one. No offense intended, but using a BGE for a big, long, slow competition smoke seems to me like using a power drill to hammer nails, or using a Maserati to pull a holiday trailer. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:13 pm
QJuju well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
QJuju - please keep in mind that this is a smoker and not a kamado cooker so comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges.

I couldn't agree more.

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
I really wouldn't expect it to grill a steak the way a BGE can, but it would likely do a good job for large smokes.:

True... but an BGE can do both.

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
No offense intended, but using a BGE for a big, long, slow competition smoke seems to me like using a power drill to hammer nails, or using a Maserati to pull a holiday trailer. :twisted:

None taken... but I couldn't agree less. Folks compete with them all the time and have good success. They will do a wonderful job for long, low, and slow and they wont rust over time.

Return to General Discussion