Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hoochie Mama Pork Chops

Hoochie Mama Pork Chops

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:06 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Simple dinner tonight, as we're trying to make up for all the spending we did in San Antonio last week... :lol: We are going to attempt to get through the week by all the things we have in the cabinets, freezer and fridge. :wink:

I managed to pick up a couple new-to-me rubs at the airport while I was in Texas. I think I remember a few of you Texans on the forum using these rubs......I know tex_toby for sure, and I want to say I've seen Garfield and Bob_BQN use these from time to time, but I could be wrong. Either way, I recognized them when I saw them in the gift shop. Got some Sucklebuster's Hoochie Mama and Hog Waller.

Used the Hoochie Mama tonight:

I had these pork chops brining overnight... I put a palm full of cherry chips in the coals for a little smoke. We also had some leftover pineapple slices from the fruit tray that my parents' brought over for Saturday's Easter Party at my house....so my wife and I dusted some of the pineapple slices down with brown sugar, skewered them up and threw those on the grill tonight as well, before they went bad.

We had some Saffron Rice in the Pantry and some frozen Broccoli in the freezer, so we utilized those tonight as well. :) I pulled the chops off at an internal temp of 140 deg f, but they were semi-small, so only a very little bit of pink was left after the rest. I may shoot for 135 deg for chops this size next time, and then maybe the rest period won't put them over the mark so much. The brine kept them from drying out though.

The Sucklebuster's Hoochie Mama wasn't my favorite, but it was still good....definitely a go-to for weeknights though. The grilled pineapple also turned out great. Now, I must go in the kitchen, look in the freezer, and be creative for tomorrow night's dinner. No more money-spendin' this week. :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:00 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

The SuckleBusters rubs and sauces are fantastic IMO. Should have tried the Hog Waller on pork chops, but the Hoochie Mama is a great all purpose rub. Great looking cook there!
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:24 am
jsperk well done
well done

Looks really good Dyal.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:33 am
Griffin well done
well done

Love it when you can pull a meal together from what's on hand.

Sorry you didn't like the Hoochie Mama. What didn't you like about it?

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:16 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks fellas'... Girlfin, I did like it, but it just wasn't my favorite. The Dizzy Pig rubs are probably my most favorite ones... Seems like the ingredients taste fresher.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:39 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
Thanks fellas'... Girlfin, I did like it, but it just wasn't my favorite. The Dizzy Pig rubs are probably my most favorite ones... Seems like the ingredients taste fresher.

That's odd, as Dan uses very fresh stuff and even sells spices on their own now. I have about 1/4 of a large container of HM that's over a year old and it still tastes fresh. Perhaps you got one that was sitting on the shelf for a long time?

I really like the Dizzy Pig rubs as well, but to me they're a completely different animal. I consider the SB rubs more as BBQ rubs and the DP ones more like "specialty" rubs, if that makes sense. I think both are incredible, but I use them somewhat differently.

BTW, I used to be somewhat of a snob when it came to rubs and always insisted on making my own. Now SB & DP make the only ones that I'll buy.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:02 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Kenny 13 wrote:
Dyal_SC wrote:

I really like the Dizzy Pig rubs as well, but to me they're a completely different animal. I consider the SB rubs more as BBQ rubs and the DP ones more like "specialty" rubs, if that makes sense. I think both are incredible, but I use them somewhat differently.

I know what you mean... I totally agree. The HM was really good. I liked it a lot, and will definitely be using it on a regular basis. It just didn't give me the same wow factor that DP gave me. It's great stuff though. Gonna try the Hog Waller tonight. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:45 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I had the Sucklebuster Hoochie Mama on a Flat Iron Steak tonight... Excellent. I liked it much better on Beef than on the Pork Chop. The HM may be my new go to steak rub for awhile...it is a nice change of pace.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:09 am
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Impressive ..................... 8)

Greg

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:18 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
I had the Sucklebuster Hoochie Mama on a Flat Iron Steak tonight... Excellent. I liked it much better on Beef than on the Pork Chop. The HM may be my new go to steak rub for awhile...it is a nice change of pace.

I think it's a great all purpose rub, but I agree that it seems to go better with beef, and even poultry, than it does with pork. I've been using the stuff for going on 2 years and have yet to try it on brisket, which I'm really dying to try. Shows how long it's been since I've cooked a brisket :oops: I've had my BGE for over 2 years and still have yet to do a cook longer than 5 or 6 hours on it.

BTW, for something different I make a version of BBQ nachos using ground beef, Hoochie Mama, onions, jalapenos, and SuckleBusters original BBQ sauce. Spoon that over tortilla chips and top with shredded cheese. Those are an absolute favorite - cooked some last Friday night. If I have any Hog Waller on hand, I like to do the same thing with it using ground pork. Also, that mixture makes great sloppy joe sandwiches!
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Return to General Discussion