Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pulled Pork smoked w/apple chips (W/Pics)

Pulled Pork smoked w/apple chips (W/Pics)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
jhumpert well done
well done

It has been way too long since I smoked anything so I have 2 beautiful pork butts all rubbed and resting (one with dizzy pig dust, other one emerils essence) in the fridge overnight that will be going on the grill after I go get my smoke source and clean all the stubb ash out of the firebox.

I was wanting to use apple wood chunks but every place I have looked only has chips. I know how my butts cook with hickory but wanted to experiment with apple and cherry too and if I liked how they taste was going to buy some off ebay. I have never really had much luck using chips as it seems even with soaking them they burn up way too quick. Hooefully I will be able to keep them wet enough that they last to give me good flavor

All rubbed and ready to go on the grill

Wood chips used

Finished Product

All in all the wife really liked the way the apple smoke came out and tasted really good. I didnt think I had good smoke but the smoke ring tells a different story.
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:53 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks good, Jeff! Apple's definitely great for pork.

Like you I haven't made pulled pork in a long time...should probably think about rectifying that!

Brad

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:05 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks terrific! Apple wood is definitely lighter than other hardwoods. I also find that the leftovers always taste smokier than the meat on the day of smoking. I'm a believer that your guests always enjoy it more, because the person cooking has an overwhelming aroma of smoke stuck on their clothes and in their noses. I always blow my nose, shower and change my clothes before eating. :lol:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:35 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

My big craving was for more pulled pork eggrolls like I made with the last batch but to have those I had to make pork. Every time I heat some up in the microwave I get a whole new aroma of smoke in the house and it smells so good. With trying the apple chips this time as opposed to the hickory I have used in the past I didnt really think I was getting much smoke because I couldnt smell it much. Judging by the fat pink smoke ring I got more then I thought. I am going to have to look on ebay for boxes of apple or peach chunks.

I was watching the maverick all day and using Royal Oak red with the wood chips I was hitting temperatures around 425-450 but would then back down and I would add more charcoal and chips when it got to around 275. I hit 150 in around 5 hours then reloaded one last time and made it to a 173 plateau before I ran out of coals. I then finished them in a 350-375 oven until it showed 200 then foil tented for an hour. When we went to pull it the bone pulled out clean and it passed the wifes quality control and she said the apple was her absolute favorite.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:40 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

To he honest with you Dyal, I was not outside with it much at all because I am fighting bronchitus so I was only out long enough to add charcoal and right back in I went. The rest of the time I was an armchair cooker watching my maverick.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:22 pm
sroach well done
well done

Pork looks great..

That's probably the best thing anyway, standing in the smoke all day I find I get a little bit tired of it when it comes time to eat.

Did you use a sauce on the sammy? Vinegar or BarBQ?

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:03 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Looks terrific--apple wood is good on lots of stuff.

Return to General Discussion