Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Acenar, San Antonio, TX (lots of pix)

Acenar, San Antonio, TX (lots of pix)

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:28 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Not BBQ, but really, really, REALLY good tex mex!!! I'm no local by far, so forgive me if you locals hate this place....but this was definitely some great eatin' to us!! :D

I ended up going with the Duck Tinga Chalupas... Holy Mother of Moses was this good!

Couldn't beat the view or tasty Margaritas either! :wink:

My Duck Tinga Chalupas:

Close up:

These had a very good rich and smoky flavor... the little cup of sauce (whatever it was) complimented them perfectly...

Here are some more pictures of the Alamo...

Also did some squirrel watching....these critters were everywhere!! I guess the saying is true....everything is bigger in Texas!!! :shock: :oops:

We are now home, but as you can tell, we had a wonderful trip. :) Can't wait for my trip to Austin coming up soon.... Oh yeah, I almost forgot....I ended up picking up some Texas-made Sucklebuster's Hog Waller and Hoochie Mama at the airport. Can't wait to try those rubs out soon... :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:12 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

When you go to Austin try to extend your trip a few extra days and do a little tour of Hill Country barbecue. Start northeast of Austin in Taylor and Elgin, work your way down thru Luling & Lockhart, and then head west toward Kerrville and Fredricksburg. You will find a lot, and many you know of, that you will like.
Wife's youngest brother's house is on top of the first decent "pull" into Hill Country in Fischers. Deck faces west and the view is fantastic, especially at sunset.
Friend's daughter is a school teacher in San Antonio. She goes frequently to visit and almost always brings back an interesting sauce or rub for me. Last trip, a couple weeks ago, she brought back a bottle of Jimmy O's Texas Peach & Pepper Marinade for me. Haven't used any yet but I'm seeing this being excellent on pork or chicken.
Hill Country is my favorite barbecue region. Like to go late March - mid April when the bluebonnets are in full bloom. Not going to make it this year but hoping for at least a long weekend next year.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:21 am
Griffin well done
well done

Another great post. You'll like the Sucklebuster's rubs. Good stuff.

Return to Best BBQ Joint