Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Texas Hot Links

Texas Hot Links

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:15 am
Griffin well done
well done

I'm sure some of you have been waiting for this after my tease. but we made up 6 lbs of Texas Hot Links this weekend (and 10 lbs of Hot Italian Sausage, but that's another post) I used a recipe from Kevin Taylor, the BBQ Guru, which can be found online if you goggle it.

Started with this

Ground it up and turned some of it into this

Then threw it onto the Egg at 130 F. Yep 130! Used my Auber Instruments Pit Controller to keep it going. and after one hour we had this.

Then 140 for another hour and then for the next hour and 40 minutes slowly bumped it up to 250 in increments until we hit 160F internal temp and we were left with this.

Let me just say, this was some HOT SAUSAGE!! Not like an overwhelming burn where you couldn’t taste anything else. And more of a back of the throat burn then lighting your tongue on fire. I could definitely taste the garlic as well as the notes the herbs gave it. WE like spicy food, but Mrs. G thought we needed to tone it down on the heat. Maybe all the black pepper, red pepper and cayenne pepper was just a bit too much. Mr. and Mrs. A, also agreed that is was good, but the heat could be toned down a tad. So next time, and there will be a next time, we’ll bring the heat level down a bit, but for a second attempt at sausage, not too bad. And we have plenty left over, vacuum sealed and frozen for later use.

It took me a long time to get the write up done and there are tons of pictures there including the recipe. Please click HERE if you would like to see more info on how we did it. Thanks for checking it out.

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:37 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Mail me some please :)

THanks...

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:38 am
Griffin well done
well done

Sure....I'll get right on it. Just sit tight by the mailbox, it'll be there any day. :lol:

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:07 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

That looks tasty! If you feel like dropping by San Antonio this week, you can bring me a couple of those... :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:40 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Looks like it turned ut great. I'll be checking out the details on your blog tonight. I never tried that method of cooking been. I may have to give it a try.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:38 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
That looks tasty! If you feel like dropping by San Antonio this week, you can bring me a couple of those... :wink:

We'll be down at the ranch Thursday night through the weekend if you want to come get some. Just head east and if you pass Goliad you went to far. We'll even let you shoot some guns and drink some beer. :wink:

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:16 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Those hot links look really good...what's the traditional way they get eaten in Texas? Up here the first thought is to reach for a brat bun.

Brad

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:40 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Either just by themselves (next to a coupla slices of brisket if you are lucky) maybe with some bbq sauce. That or in a bun slathered with some mustard. At least, that's how I'd do it. :wink:

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:22 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Good looking sausage. Wife still on the fence about the KA Pro, but thinking I'm going to go get a grinder and sausage stuffer as an early birthday present to me.
Griffin - Heard you all had multiple tornados with a lot of damage yesterday. You guys all OK down there?
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion