Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion First Attempt at Pit Beef (lots of pix)

First Attempt at Pit Beef (lots of pix)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:23 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Got this beast of a hunk of beef from Sam's Club yesterday. I was debating between dry aging it, breaking it down into steaks, or using it for pit beef. I realized yesterday that I ran out of dry aging bags that would house a cut this big, so today I threw it on the BGE for pit beef...

I went with Steven Raichlen's rub for Maryland Pit Beef...

http://www.grouprecipes.com/84989/balti ... dwich.html

Rotated it around awhile, while grilling it on direct heat....

Once it got a good sear, I put the platesetter in, while grilling it indirect at around 425 deg f dome temp, until it reached 120 deg f internal temp...

Served it on Rye Bread, along with some Horseradish and White Onions...

I don't have a meat slicer right now, so it could have been a lot better. But I did the best I could with a sharp knife for tonight's dinner. You can tell from the sandwich pic that I misjudged the grain a bit, and sliced the meat with the grain instead of against it. It wasn't bad, but it could have been better.

After dinner, I ended up getting out the food processor and slicing up a good bit of beef for this week's lunches. But I also am saving half of the roast for when I get a meat slicer. I'll throw that half in the freezer for a later date. It was really good stuff, and my wife is in the kitchen snacking on it as I type. :) She must approve.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:53 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Looks really good. Looks like you will have a lot of sandwiches. Pit beef is one of my favorites. I have not made it in awhile. Now Im ready to try one on the rotisserie.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:23 am
Griffin well done
well done

I've been waiting on doing that until I get a slicer. Looks like you did a good job on it.

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:05 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Excellent! Pit beef's my fallback when I can't decide what to do with a roast.

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:32 pm
naterea medium
medium

About how long did it take to cook to the desired internal temp?
55 gallon UDS
Weber 22.5 Kettle
Charbroil Silver Smoker

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:17 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great looking beef Dyal,
Wouldn't mind having some of that for luch everyday :D

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:12 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

That looks delicious! :D

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:22 pm
bartmoss medium-rare
medium-rare

How long did you let it rest before slicing? I would have though that blood would have spill a lot.
BBQ JUNKY
FAST FOOD Addict

Weber Kettle 22"
Broil King Crown 90.

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:34 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, y'all!

naterea, I had this plan in mind that I would hot tub it in the sink for about an hour, with the water as hot as I could get it. Figured that by the time it got a good sear that it would be close to being done. So I did that, but it didn't absorb down into the center of the meat. So needless to say, my plan didn't work out. :lol: Maybe next time I will try hot tubbing it for a few hours. Wasn't long enough for this large of a roast. It ended up taking around 2 hours I guess to get to 120 in the dead center.

bartmoss, I let it rest for around 20 minutes before I carved it up.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:15 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Wow Dyal that was a beast indeed :shock: , the grill must have shuddered when you threw that baby on!! Am I too late to get a sammy? Do try it again when you have a slicer and can thin slice it, that can make all of the difference in the world.

jsperk: The recipe I use from Cooks Illustrated calls for an eye of the round roast which is usually somewhat cylindrical and therefor a perfect shape for the rotisserie. That's the good news. The bad news is I know my rotisserie wouldn't put the same kinda sear on the outside that I get with high heat direct grilling. You are shooting for a blackened outer skin.

natarea/bartmoss I've never made a beast like dyal did, but with a 3-5 pound eye of the round roast it generally takes 45-55 minutes at 600 degrees grate temp. I cook mine with a remote read temp probe pushed in from the end. I sear that end first and then push in the probe for the rest of the cook. With the smaller roast and a high heat direct grilling you get an amazing amount of carryover in the 30 minutes rest the CI recipe calls for. I've found at the temp I grill at, I pull mine at 117 which gets me to 130 when it rests for 30 minutes. The carryover continues while you are slicing it too, so I get a range between medium rare to medium when it is all sliced. Technically a "true" Baltimore it beef sandwich is served rare, butI shoot for the medium rare, which is how the folks I serve like it. There is also usually enough meat closer to medium for the folks that like it that way too.

Man I so want one of these now Dyal....

Jim

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:53 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Sell you mine - I actually have two. Rarely use - to much of a pain to dissasemble, clean, and sterilize. really wish I could carve like that with a sharp knife - I am terrible. Have an Appalachian Bow knife that I'm pretty good with or just resort to my old stand-by electric knife.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion