Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Lamb Chops and Greek Potatoes....(lots of pix)

Lamb Chops and Greek Potatoes....(lots of pix)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Dyal_SC well done
well done

These are not the typical lamb chops, but the ugly step sisters that you find on clearance below the expensive stuff. :wink: Growing up, I NEVER ate lamb...I guess that's because my father doesn't like it, and he banned it. Not sure why... my wife and I love it. We found these "Lamb Shoulder Round Bone Chops" on Sunday...

I didn't know quite what to do with them, but I took my redneck brain to the pantry and found these ingredients that I thought might go tasty on them....

It needed something else, so I added some EVOO and fresh garlic....

Marinaded this in the fridge for 24 hours...

Threw some Cherry Wood on the Egg once the coals got hot....

Here's the egg smoke-roasting away...the smell of the ingredients and the cherry wood was KILLER!!! I could detect the odor of the cherry, the peaches and the rosemary.

Served up with some of my wife's Greek Potatoes and Greek Salad....

Also had a nice little glass of Merlot... Not sure what temperature I took the lamb to....just what felt right to the touch, for a rare to medium-rare.

I will definitely be picking up this cut of lamb on a regular basis. It is like a hybrid between beef and pork.....has a wonderful "light" beefy flavor. Delicious, without any "gaminess".... Definitely good eats!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:15 am
Askanison medium
medium

Looks mouthwatering.
Never saw that cut of lamb before.
Will have to be on the lookout for it.

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:07 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Did the chops have much sweetness to them? Along with sugar, fruit is something I prefer to keep far, far away. :wink:

Brad

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:25 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, fellas'... Brad, they weren't really sweet... These were also "LIte" peaches, so they didn't have a lot of heavy syrup in the can... but the peaches did add a nice kiss of fruitiness. They were real good... gonna pick up some more of these on Sunday.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:21 pm
Griffin well done
well done

That's it. I'm getting a ticket and flying up there to visit you so you can cook for me!

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:45 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
That's it. I'm getting a ticket and flying up there to visit you so you can cook for me!

Come on over...there's always a place for you in the Casa de la Dying_from_Heartburn. That was a good one, BTW.... :lol:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:04 pm
Griffin well done
well done

As long as you don't serve a meal of ABTs or there will be two of us dying. I'll bring the TUMs.

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:36 pm
sacmer well done
well done

I find the Lamb Shoulder Chops a bit tough to eat grilled med rare. They are kind of like "pork shoulder country ribs" or beef chuck. I personally love to do them braised or smoked lightly then braised. They can dry out but braising like short ribs works really well and they turn into fork tender pull apart meat.

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:36 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

sacmer wrote:
I find the Lamb Shoulder Chops a bit tough to eat grilled med rare. They are kind of like "pork shoulder country ribs" or beef chuck. I personally love to do them braised or smoked lightly then braised. They can dry out but braising like short ribs works really well and they turn into fork tender pull apart meat.

These weren't that tough, but they were not as tender as lamb rib chops I've made in the past. Pretty tasty for the price. That's a good idea with the braising. I may have to give that a go.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:25 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

Awesome job Dyal. The lamb and sides look great. I grew up eating lamb shoulder chops and love them like most people love pork chops.

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:18 pm
jsperk well done
well done

That's a great price on lamb chops. I never had them before. I will to look for some. Nice cook.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Return to General Discussion