Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Oven vs. grill

Oven vs. grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:28 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Sorry, but I just have a small rant I need to let out. If it's not bad enough that my particularly busy schedule during the week has only been allowing me time to cook on the grill on weekends, it really drives me nuts that the one time this past week that I actually had an opportunity to fire up the egg ended up with an unforseen rainstorm that forced me to cook my already prepped chicken wings in the oven :? The sad thing is that, while they really had a good flavor from the rub and sauce, they badly lacked that cooked over live fire & smoke flavor that really makes BBQ/grilling what it is. While they really tasted great, they just were nowhere near as enjoyable as they would have been cooked on the egg (or any other grill for that matter).

Anyway, while eating that meal it really got me thinking about how many times I've heard folks say that "BBQ" cooked in the oven is just as good as if it were cooked on the grill, and I couldn't help but think that those people have probably never had the opportunity to really enjoy true BBQ.

Just hope that it's a very long time before I have to change plans due to weather again.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:32 am
rogerja well done
well done

how many times I've heard folks say that "BBQ" cooked in the oven is just as good as if it were cooked on the grill

They were probably refferring to BBQ cooked on a gas grill. :wink:
Last edited by rogerja on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:56 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

rogerja wrote:
how many times I've heard folks say that "BBQ" cooked in the oven is just as good as if it were cooked on the grill

They were probably refferring to BBQ cooked on a [i]gas[/i ]grill. :wink:

That brings up another point. I have a very good friend who cooks exclusively on a gas grill and absolutely refuses to acknowledge that charcoal/wood smoke adds additional flavor to food. To each his own I guess.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:32 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Kenny 13 wrote:
rogerja wrote:

They were probably refferring to BBQ cooked on a [i]gas[/i ]grill. :wink:

That brings up another point. I have a very good friend who cooks exclusively on a gas grill and absolutely refuses to acknowledge that charcoal/wood smoke adds additional flavor to food. To each his own I guess.

You are correct sir, but in this case and many others like it I have adopted the advice of Zac Brown...

I know its hard to survive in the city
When the beautiful days don't look so pretty
And you don't have windows to keep the night away, okay.
He was dirty and stinky and just a bit crude
But I didn't say that because that's kind of rude
And he didn't care what I had to say in the first place, okay

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:57 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Kenny,
I can totally sympathize with you. When I first moved from sunny Calif to Georgia, I figured out early on that if I wanted to BBQ/Grill year around, I would have to build a shelter. I’ve built a patio cover (temp or permanent) in every house I owned or rented since I’ve been in GA. That’s the only way to do it. I don’t enjoy cooking in the oven either and especially during the hot months. It rains here in GA all year around, and may be worse in the summer.

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:46 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

Kenny lives inBelle Chase in metroNewOrleans, it makes Seattle look dry!
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:57 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I just spent two grand on a dual fuel range last month... Some things just HAVE to be sauteed.

I tried the electric convection out for a chicken, and a pork and beef roast. Pretty good, I thought. The probe stops the oven right at the temp I set, and the food was moist and the skin was crisp.

Then cooked some $00.80 / lb. bone-in skin-on chicken breasts over some chunk with cherry wood chips ..... Yeah, an oven is convenient. Yeah, it can cook pretty chicken or roast. It just AIN'T the same ... not even close.

Then again, last time I tried to make jerky on the Dome, I ended up with charcoal. This beast is a HELL of a dehydrator ... and has cool little LCD lights of fans spinning and all ...
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:16 am
Buckeye Bob well done
well done

Kenny,

Definitely a difference in taste on charcoal vs. gas grill. I do have to admit though with four kids going every which way every night, the gas grill is a godsend when we need to do something quick.

Still prefer charcoal though and that's why I bought the egg.

Buckeye Bob

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:09 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

I'd really love to be able to build a shelter as Z suggested, but can't do it at my apartment. I've been wanting to get something like an EZ Up or other temporary thing I can put up on days like that. I need to go ahead and do that. And lately it seems like the weather's been like that more often than not. Rained Sunday, rained yesterday, raining this morning, and looks like there's a pretty good chance of rain the rest of the week through Sunday :?

Meanwhile, I have a really nice looking skirt steak in the refrigerator that was gonna make some great fajitas at some point this week. Guess I'm gonna have to pop it in the freezer and wait for a break in the weather.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:31 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

Kenny 13 wrote:
Guess I'm gonna have to pop it in the freezer and wait for a break in the weather.

Don't be scared, Kenny! :lol: I was out grilling in a hail storm a few weeks back. It just makes you work a little quicker! :wink:

tex 8)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:35 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

I've had quite a few times where I've had to finish cooking in the rain, but it's kinda difficult to get a fire started when it's already pouring :lol:
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Return to General Discussion