Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion meat grinder under $100.00

meat grinder under $100.00

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:05 am
jhumpert well done
well done

Well my lem grinder showed up yesterday and so did my casings. As luck would have it I was recently diagnosed with something that now puts me on a lower carb diet. We bought a whole pork loin at Sams over the weekend and wondering if I can use that to make sausage from or do I need to stick with pork butt?
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:37 pm
sixfofalcon medium-well
medium-well

The KA attachment is absolutely fine as a small-batch grinder. It's not fast, but if you're doing 5# batches it's perfectly acceptable... you'll spend more time setting up and cleaning up than actually grinding no matter what grinder you use. Bigger batches will have you wanting a dedicated grinder.

The KA attachment is horrible as a stuffer, though. I mean really, really bad. :(

EDIT: In response to the above post, you can use loin, but it would be a waste of a good, relatively expensive cut (even if you got a deal on it), and you'd need to add at least 25% fat to it because the loin is one of the leanest cuts you can get. I'd butterfly that bad boy and stuff it with rosemary and garlic per Steven's recipe.

Stick with butts for sausage... they have almost the perfect amount of fat to lean and they are cheap. You can't go wrong.
Weber Performer
22.5" WSM
CG Smokin' Pro (lots o' mods, but basically "retired")

Post Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:06 am
jsperk well done
well done

If you have a kitchenaid I would just buy the grinder attachment. Works great I usually grind between 5 to 10 pounds of meat. I used the stuffer for awhile. It was a pain but I did get a decent setup going with it and I was able to to 5 pounds of sausage at time. Took longer but it worked ok after some practice. I would get a dedicated stuffer though.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:17 am
jhumpert well done
well done

Well I may have to look into a dedicated stuffer after I see how my grinder works out. So far it isnt even out of the box yet so hopefully this weekend I will be able to give it a first run and make some sausages.
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Previous

Return to General Discussion