Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Worcestershire-brined pork chops

Worcestershire-brined pork chops

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:04 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Just for grins I recently made a basic brine (water & salt) and added a few tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce to see what would happen with a couple of pork chops. They started out pink but after a day in the brine they had taken on a leathery brown tone.

Because of the salt in the brine and sauce all I seasoned them with was some black pepper prior to grilling.

I really didn't have any idea of what to expect but they actually turned out pretty good. The brine definitely got into the meat but the sauce wasn't overpowering, and the chops were nice and moist. I might think about refining the brine into a real recipe.

Brad

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:01 pm
rogerja well done
well done

I use woostie in my chicken brine - especially for wings. Mine's a quick brine, since I'm usually doing wings or BSCB. I adapated it from the Calgary wings recipe, it's basically beer, salt, woostie, hot sauce, and peppercorns.

For pork, i'd adjust to sub apple juice and water for the beer (it'll be a longer brine), remove hot sauce (unless you're going for spicy), add maybe caraway seeds, coriander seeds, and juniper berries?

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:29 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks good, Bradley! Not trying to take away from your post, but I have a quick question..... My last brine turned out pretty salty... I placed partially frozen pork chops in a simple brine the night before and let them go to the next night. I rinsed them off before grilling, but they were still really salty. The brine was 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup sugar and 4 cups of water. Do you think that putting the pork chops into the brine partially frozen contributed to the saltiness?
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:24 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's a good question. I don't have a real answer but I'll take a wild guess:

If the chops were still partially frozen there was less available moisture so there was a greater inequality between the chops and the brine, and more brine was absorbed into the meat than would've been if the meat was fully thawed. But again, that's just a guess...

Brad

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:10 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

Dyal, my brine , 1/4 cup Kosher salt , 1/4 sugar & 4 cups water is just a little less salty than yours.
Partially frozen doesn't matter , the meat thawed in the salt solution very quickly.
Was the meat " ENHANCED", lots of pork is?
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:52 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

lostarrow, nope, I got a fresh cut pork loin from Sams awhile back. Only thing I can think of is the sauce that I used. Probably meant for dipping and not grilling.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:17 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Interesting chops Brad. I don,t think frozen had anything to do with the saltiness. If anything, I'd say it would keep the meat from absorbing as much salt. I am making a pork chop recipe this weekend and the brine time is 4 hours total, not overnight. I would guess the time was the contributing factor to the saltiness.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Return to General Discussion