Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion meat grinder under $100.00

meat grinder under $100.00

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:48 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

I am looking at electric meat grinders so I can try my hand at homemade italian sausage, bratwurst, breakfast sausage and maybe if I get brave salami.

I am looking at the sunmile 3.8 8# grinder on amazon for around 79.98 and comes with 3 grinding plates and 2 sausage tubes. My question is this... Is this a pretty good grinder or which one do you recommend that stays under a 70-100.00 budget?
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:36 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Do you mean the 1.3HP #8? I would be wary of anything that did not have any reviews. Most people go with LEM or Kitchener. I got the Kitchener and am happy with it.

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:46 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Do you mean the 1.3HP #8? I would be wary of anything that did not have any reviews. Most people go with LEM or Kitchener. I got the Kitchener and am happy with it.

Yes the 1.3 hp one that you said, how good is the LEM one because I think they had that one also but not sure how much it was.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:56 pm
Griffin well done
well done

People seem to like it.

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:04 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

Went back and looked at the LEM grinder and it is around 88.00 which isnt too bad as long as I am getting a good unit.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:23 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Yeah, very similar to mine.

You should be happy with it. It isn't industrial by any means, but for small batches should work out fine. We stuffed 5 lbs in no time flat. Will be faster next time when we know what we are doing.

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:30 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

Sounds like a.pretty good deal, that will probably be the one I go with.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:32 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

The reason most beginner sausage makers quit is without good equipment it's a PITA.
The main problem is a bad stuffer,
You can live with a bad grinder, but trying to stuff with a cheap grinder is horrible.
A decent 5 lb VERTICAL stuffer (grizzly) about $80
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:35 am
jhumpert well done
well done

I ended up ordering the LEM 575 watt grinder on amazon for 88.95 and also some pork casings for italian sausage, bratwurst. Estimated delivery Feb 22 so next weekend may be making homemade italian sausages.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:53 am
rhino260 medium-rare
medium-rare

Is the Kitchen Aid mixer attachment any good?
Backwoods Party w/ DigiQ
Master Forge Vertical
Weber Charcoal
We're always smoking something!

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:43 pm
Griffin well done
well done

NO! Stay away from it.

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:59 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
NO! Stay away from it.

Was that response for me regarding the lem grinder or to rhino concerning the kitchaid mixer attachment?
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:38 pm
sacmer well done
well done

I will put in my 2 cents regarding the Kitchen Aid which I currently am using.

The Kitchen aid meat grinder attachment works fine as a "grinder" in my opinion. I have had excellent results grinding meat and love to make my own blends for burgers.

Agree with above comments that "grinders" ARE NOT "stuffers". The kitchen aid attachment is not a good stuffer as the feeding mechanism is not smooth and you need minimum of 2 people to even keep it going and filling casings is really inconsistent. This is so frustrating that after my 1 attempt at using casings with the kitchenaid, I have made sausage recipes and just made patties. (I made some excellent sage breakfast sausage patties and froze them on wax paper then food savered them in portions)

I would definately buy a dedicated "stuffer" in the future if I decide to do more stuffing into casings. Unless you are into industrial proportions, looks like the hand powered stuffers are the way to go.

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:56 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I use the KitchenAide attachment. Works well for me. Of course, I haven't tried stuffing really large batches....only 10 lbs or less at once. It helps if the meat is cold when you do the stuffing. Comes out nice and even with no hassle.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:47 am
Griffin well done
well done

jhumpert wrote:
Griffin wrote:
NO! Stay away from it.

Was that response for me regarding the lem grinder or to rhino concerning the kitchaid mixer attachment?

In response to the KA attachment. While I have not used it, all I've ever heard is negative comments about it.

Next

Return to General Discussion