Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Homemade garlic salt and lemon pepper?

Homemade garlic salt and lemon pepper?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:39 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm looking at a recipe that calls for a tablespoon each of garlic salt and lemon pepper, but instead of using the prepackaged stuff I'd like to make my own if it's not too difficult/expensive. Any ideas? For the garlic salt I was thinking that simply adding some granulated garlic to some fine sea salt would work, but what about the lemon pepper?

Then again, there are a couple of Penzey's stores in Madison and I've never visited one... :wink:

Brad

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:42 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

My mother in law gave me some homemade Lemon Pepper awhile back... I have no idea how she made it. It is pretty good stuff. I'll get my wife to ask her how and get back to you.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:26 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

I've seen minced lemon peels in the spice section of several stores. Grinding that with whole peppercorns should do the trick.

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:14 pm
bajamike560 well done
well done

If you have or know someone that has a food dryer/dehydrator put the lemon peel/zest in there for about 4 hours or so and when dry add it to the pepper mill.

After you mix up the garlic salt put it on the smoker (low heat, garlic will burn and taste bad) for smoked garlic salt. Or smoke the salt then add the garlic later.
Let us know how things turn out.

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
Simple man BBQ

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:15 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks, Mike. I'll probably have to buy the lemon zest already dried but should be able to do everything else.

Brad

Return to General Discussion