Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Intro & 'Testimonial'.

Intro & 'Testimonial'.

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:40 pm
EODOswald rare
rare

Howdy!

I'd been watching Steven when I could on PBS for the past six months, after getting back from Afghanistan this past summer. My lovely wife got me hooked on him, especially after mentioning "this show, from Arizona." I'd gone to college in Prescott, and learned how to "burn beef" up there; later I realized he'd shot the show a few times in Arizona. Nevertheless, I got hooked.

Fast forward to Christmas, where my lovely bride got me a small kettle grill, some charcoal, and the BBQ Bible book! I made a vow then and there to let her do all the 'inside cookin' if I handled the 'outside cookin'--even in the dead of winter.

I got adventurous, and have already tried some chicken thighs she'd brought home from the store. I'd found some lump charcoal at the hardware store, and mounded that in the center, while I slow cooked the chicken on the outside 'cool ring' (hey. . . it works.). With a mustard/vinaigrette marinade, I think it was the best darn chicken I'd ever made. So I have to thank Steven for teaching me that food does not have to go over the flame to cook well.

I look forward to cooking for my Shop. And, I look forward to trying some fish this week. My wife's out of town, so I know if I experiment, there'll be nobody to complain--just more food for me! :lol:

Thanks,
Rob
-----
Rob "Oswald" B.
Explosive Ordnance Disposal - 'Initial Success or Total Failure'

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:52 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Rob - Congratulations! Sounds like a very successful and tasty 1st cook.
Thanks for going to Afghanistan for us. I have a nephew that will leave within the week on his 9th (and final) deployment. Don't always know where he goes but know he's been to Afghanistan 3 or 4 times.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:01 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome, Rob! We look forward to hearing more from you!

Brad

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:23 pm
EODOswald rare
rare

Awesome! Thanks!!
-----
Rob "Oswald" B.
Explosive Ordnance Disposal - 'Initial Success or Total Failure'

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:43 am
QJuju well done
well done

Welcome and Grats! on the successful cook. I think we would all love to see some pics sometime if you are so inclined.

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:06 am
Griffin well done
well done

Thank you for serving our country, Rob. Sounds like your wife is a smart woman getting you the grill and the book. I know that book changed how I grilled and we can't wait to hear and see some more of your cooks.

Return to Testimonials