Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Puerto Rican "Influenced" Meal (pix)

Puerto Rican "Influenced" Meal (pix)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:20 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I guess this isn't any one nation's meal... just basing it on a few things my Puerto Rican American friend, Frank, told me that he eats at his house. This was an awesome combination of flavors...

First comes the Boneless Skinless Turkey Breast Marinade. It consisted of some White Vinegar, EVOO, Fresh Garlic, Goya Adobo All Purpose Seasoning and Cilantro. I put all the marinade ingredients in the food processor and marinaded the pounded-out turkey breasts in that for 5 - 6 hours...

Then threw that on the grill along with some Peppers and Onions that had been coated in Oil and Adobo Seasoning...

Grilled up some Flour Tortillas after the Turkey and Veggies left the BGE...

I also whipped up some Rice and Beans. I started those by softening up some Diced Onions and Peppers in some EVOO....then in went a few tablespoons of Goya Sofrito, Black Beans, Goya Adobo, White Rice and Water... That made some really good Rice and Beans, which Frank says is a Puerto Rican staple.

It only took one Turkey Breast to feed both me and the wife.... this marinade is awesome!!! Sooo flavorful!

Served everything up with the Flour Tortillas on the side, along with some Sour Cream and Salsa...

This is definitely going to make the rotation in my house. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:48 am
jhumpert well done
well done

Looks delicous
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:52 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks fantastic, Dyal_SC. But what's it called?
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:02 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
Looks fantastic, Dyal_SC. But what's it called?

I dunno... Maybe "Turquia Asada"? Carne Asada translates into "Grilled Meat", so maybe just Carne Asada. Not sure, but it was dang tasty... :D I guess I'll stick with Turquia Asada... :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:41 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Nice job Dyal. I love Goya Adobo, it's darn tasty stuff.

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

smokin'gal wrote:

It really is... Never used it until recently. Gonna do this same marinade on skirt steak later in the week for Carne Asada.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:20 am
Griffin well done
well done

Some great looking turkey tacos. Kinda shocked you didn't make them into quesadillas, since you are the Quesadilla Queen! Bah-zing! :twisted:

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:40 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal, how spicy is the Goya seasoning? I'd definitely like to try this (provided I can find the Goya) but I have to keep things fairly mild for the rest of the family.

Brad

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:27 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Goya adabo isn't spicy at all. My parents are from Puerto Rico majority of the food from the Spanish Islands Puerto Rico, Cuba, and Dominican Republic are not spicey most food is fried and ofcourse roasted like whole hog or pork shoulder. If you want to try different types of marinades used in Puerto Rican cooking try some Mojo.
Here are some recipes using mojo and adobo

http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/grilled-pork-chops-onions.html?list=1

http://www.goya.com/english/recipes/steak-fajitas.html?list=1

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:27 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I believe the Adobo has no MSG, but I'm petty sure the "All Purpose" has quite a bit (for those who don't like it.) I personally have no problem with MSG but lots of people claim sensitivity . headaches etc.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:01 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Hey Dyal
Personally I don't care what it's called. It looked darned good and that is all that counts. Nice job.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:11 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
smokin'gal wrote:

It really is... Never used it until recently. Gonna do this same marinade on skirt steak later in the week for Carne Asada.

I enjoy the powdered variety as well. The one with cumin is excellent for fried chicken....and skirt steak....flat iron steak....well....everything, lol.

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:18 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

I don't BBQ much in the winter I live in Jersey and my Puerto Rican genetics doesn't help me with the cold :D Once it warms up I am going to start picking my mothers brain on Puerto Rican dishes and start putting a bbq spin on them. Thanks Dyal_SC for the inspiration.

Return to General Discussion