I thought I would mention a few pieces of geatr that I have picked up over the years that I now find indispensable.
1) Chimney starter - I don't even remember how I lit up before these things. Mine are old and rusted out but can make a fantastiic scene as fire belches out their tops. For wome reason it always takes longer for a full chimney to light up then books say it should (about 25min) but it orks great nonetheless.
2) Parrafin starters - forget crumbling up newspapers. These things work consistantly and very well. I can light up in high wind, rain and very cold and they work just fine.
3) Spray bottle - great for spraying on my mops. I like a mop too but they get really nasty and everyone I have ever had falls apart.
4) Grill grabber - Nifty little plier like things that pick up grill grates. These allow me to pick up a grill grate that is blazing hot with food on the grill and have perfect control. Not to mention that your gloves never get dirty.
5) Shovel - I use a fireplace shovel to move coals from the bucket that I store them in into the chimney or the fire and to move my coals around.
6) Bricks - I use bricks for just about everything when q-ing. I use them to set up chimneys on, to lift food away from the fire, as a source of heat (Put one in the fire and it will help regulate your heat.)