Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint BBQ King - Boger City, NC

BBQ King - Boger City, NC

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:21 am

There are many good places but the BBQ King on Hwy 27 in Boger City, NC (just outside of Lincolnton) is one of the best. They also provide sauces representing the 3 sauce areas within the state (vinegar based, tomato based and mustard based). Check it out!
CarolinaDoc

CG Pro w/SFB
CG Outlaw w/SFB - Modified
BJCP Recognized Beer Judge

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:06 pm

CarolinaDoc wrote:
They also provide sauces representing the 3 sauce areas within the state (vinegar based, tomato based and mustard based). Check it out!

Been there and wasn't too impressed with the flavor of the pork. Only taste was smoke (it masked all pork flavor completely). My sandwich had PERFECT moistness and PERFECT tenderness, but lacked quality pork flavor considerably.

Sauces were okay - but I must state - there is NO "sauce area" in North Carolnia for "mustard sauce"! That would be "South Carolina". I've eaten at 322 Q-joints in North Carolina and have only had mustard sauce served on the pork at three places! In SC however, there are "areas" where that is ALL you get.

Just saying...

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:34 pm

It's been a while since I was there (5 yrs) but it had excellent pork flavor at the time. I've been smoking for a number of years, in competitions too, and found them to be reasonable for a commercial BBQ place. As far as sauce is concerned, yes, mustard sauce is a SC thing now BUT it started in the 18th century by the German settlers from the Salisbury area when they began to infuse Lexington-style "dip" with mustard. This made its way down to SC as an economic thing. I recommend the book "The Best Tarheel Barbecue" by Jim Early. It has a good concise synopsis of how BBQ got started in the tarheel state.
CarolinaDoc

CG Pro w/SFB

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:23 pm

CarolinaDoc wrote:
I recommend the book "The Best Tarheel Barbecue" by Jim Early. It has a good concise synopsis of how BBQ got started in the tarheel state.

Concise is right, pretty whimsical actually (and intentionally). For the definitive work on the history of barbecue in North Carolina (and good work on the history of barbecue in general) I highly recommend: “Holy Smoke: The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecueâ€

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:31 pm

What a wonderful wealth of info. Yeah, Jim Early is a friend of ours too. He lives in Winston Salem around the corner from my aunt. Wonderful guy to chew the fat with. I will take your suggestion and get the 'Holy Smoke' book. I imagine Amazon has this? Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I always learn new things from these sites. Do you ever do any of the Memphis in May competitions (judge or compete)?
CarolinaDoc

CG Pro w/SFB

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:42 pm

CarolinaDoc wrote:
Do you ever do any of the Memphis in May competitions (judge or compete)?

I've been judging Memphis Barbecue Network (MBN) competitions for a few years, but have not made it to Memphis In May. I was hoping to take the MIM judges training this November, but it conflicts with my judging "The National Barbecue Festival" in Waycross, GA. Maybe next year...

Do you compete or judge?
Tom
CMJ-KCBS, NCBBQA
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC
Pitmaster-"4 Lil' Pigs" BBQ Team"
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:54 pm

I compete locally around Charlotte, NC and in the MIM sanctioned Blues, Brews and BBQ event here. As a matter of fact it was just this past weekend. I did not compete this year. The MIM judges here want me to take the judging classes as well but time is an issue right now. Sometimes I work with Alex Ranucci of Big Butt BBQ. I've known him for quite a while. He is doing well in overall placements in MIM competitions (www.bigbuttbbq.com). I want to get closer to it but traveling for my job puts a kink in that. Outlaw BBQ is someone we have worked with in the past as well.
CarolinaDoc

CG Pro w/SFB

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:24 pm

I judged the MBN competition in Charlotte last weekend. In fact, my wife judged "Big Butt BBQ" in "Whole Hog on-site" while I watched. I judged "Shoulder - Blind" and "Ribs - On-site" in the pro division and then we both judged "Ribs" and "Boston Butt" in the backyard category in the afternoon.

Last year Charlotte hosted the MBN Certified Barbecue Judge (CBJ) Training on Friday before the event on Saturday, but they apparently didn't have enough interest to repeat the training this year.

There aren't too many MBN competitions around this area, so we judge a lot more KCBS than MBN. I also judge North Carolina Pork Council (NCPC) competitions (Whole Hog on the grill) - in fact I'm heading to Seaboard, NC this saturday to judge their NCPC comp.

I HIGHLY recommend taking the CBJ training for ANY sanctioning body!!! Not only is judging fun, but it will also help you know what the judges are looking for to help your team in competition!
Tom
CMJ-KCBS, NCBBQA
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:08 pm

I'll look for you at the next competition here. I see Big Butt placed 4th in shoulder and placed 1st in ribs! I'll have to give Alex a shout. Maybe they'll have the MBN class here next time.
CarolinaDoc

CG Pro w/SFB

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:45 pm

I'll definitely try to look you up next year in Charlotte! Please let me know if you will be at any other MBN comps between now and then. We always hit Galax, VA in July as well as Charlotte for MBN. We also judge LOTS of KCBS comps ALL OVER NC/SC so if you ever decide to try out chicken and brisket, try KCBS.

I'll keep you posted on any CBJ training I see in the area (MBN and KCBS).

Meanwhile, what other Q-joints do you like around NC? I'm still doing research for my book and always looking for new places to try.
Tom
CMJ-KCBS, NCBBQA
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:09 pm

I appreciate that. We'll talk before some of these things so we can connect. That would be fun. Good BBQ joints are hard to find. There are a couple of "backyard" places I have been in eastern NC around Tabor City and around Bennettsville, SC. The rest I make myself. But there is a place around Waynesville, NC in the mountains that is very good. I cannot remember the name as it has been a while since I was there. There is a place I do want to try that is on 38S south of Bennettsville, SC before it turns into Hwy 501S. I think it's called Shuller's BBQ in Latta, SC. Familiar?
CarolinaDoc

CG Pro w/SFB

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:18 pm

I found this about Schuler's BBQ Tom -

"Schulers BBQ ranks amont the best southern bar b que restaurants in SC. As a master judge with the South Carolina Barbque Association, I have eaten in and reviewed numerous BBQ restaurants in SC. In my opinion, Shulers is definately in the top 5 in the state. Eastern/Pee Dee SC typically features a vinegar pepper sauce which Schulers is presenting to prefection. They have two vinegar pepper sauces..one is mild and the other is medium hot. Both are outstanding. The meat has a mild smokey flavor and is cooked just right remaining moist and tender.
Other buffet sides dishes are outstanding as well including fried corn on the cob, collards and an array of sweets to please. Try the fresh cobbler with ice cream...mmmmm.
Schuler's is known among judges as 100 mile BBQ. In other words, we will drive 100 miles to get there since it's so good!

July 22, 2010 by Morrey Thomas in Darlington, SC "

Very interesting!
CarolinaDoc

CG Pro w/SFB

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks for the information! I haven't been to very many Q-joints in SC yet, as I am still trying to find all the ones in NC for my book first. I'll definitely have to put "Schuler's" on my list if I get in the Latta area.

I just got an invite to the MIM judges training - they will hold it on the 12th instead of the first weekend in November! I might get there afterall. Even though I'm MBN certified, MIM stated that I would need to attend their training. Gotta do it in order to judge MIM.

Take care and keep in touch!
Tom
CMJ-KCBS, NCBBQA
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Return to Best BBQ Joint