Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Philly Cheese Steak

Philly Cheese Steak

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:55 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I got a whole Rib roast this past weekend
Sliced some of it paper thin
Cooked it on the griddle as it’s usually done in Philly
Made sure I had a Crackpot full of cheese Whiz :D
And assembled the sandwiches with grilled peppers, onions, and mushrooms and served them with Texas Taters
I also had a chicken option, but didn’t have a chance to take pix.

I sliced the remaining rib roast into 5 Rib eye steaks and grilled them the next day
With loaded potatoes and Garlic rolls
And that was my Labor Day Weekend story :D

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:08 pm
jsperk well done
well done

That's awesome. I would love to do a cook like that. Philly cheese steaks one of my favs.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:55 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

Yeah !! As a native Philadelphian (and as of June 1 this year, I work right across the street from the Liberty Bell) I hearty approve. There is a joint a few blocks away that slices ribeye in real time as they grill their steaks. Ribeye is not a MUST have for a good steak, but IMO, it is the BEST way to go. Snobby folk on Chow.com turn down their nose at Whiz too, but again, IMO the tangy-salty flavor of Whiz is KILLER. Places where I am a regular will make mine with both Whiz AND American !! I save the Provolone for Roast Pork !!

Stellar job !! You are an honorary Philadelphian !!! You can now address everyone you meet with "Yo !"
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:06 am
fnnm358 well done
well done

Very nice
can I have one for lunch today
I would love to have that flat top you are using to cook on
Kettle Grill
Brinkmann Grill King

Ed

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:04 am
Griffin well done
well done

Mmmm....philly cheese steaks. Think I just drooled on my keyboard.

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:26 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Z, did you partially freeze the beef before slicing so it would be easier to work with? I've only used my slicer on cooked meats.

The sandwich looks great!

Brad

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:55 am
sroach well done
well done

+1 on what PhillyJazz said..

Although I don't get the green peppers and onions.. I know it's a part of the original cheese steak from what I understand, but growing up in Philly never had it on a sandwich.

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:40 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

Never had green bell peppers, but I've had Italian log hots.
- Phillyjazz -

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:47 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Well BBcue-Z, what can I say but it looks fantastic. I can't remember if I've ever tried Cheese-Whiz before, but using sliced ribeye is my favorite way to go about a cheesesteak. You got phillyjazz's "honorary Philadelphian" designation, so you know you've done good. 8)

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:51 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

There are lots of snobs in Philly who look down their noses at Whiz, but it is tangy, already melted and a boss orange color that just about glows after you've been drinking a little. American is good on a Cheese steak as well, and Provolone on a steak hoagie (but it is pretty bland when it's melted.) Just don't order Swiss like John Kerry did when he was campaigning here. He all but got run our of town on a rail !!!

I just about never order a pizza steak in a pizza joint because they put mozzarella and toast the whole thing, drying out the roll, which is supposed to be chewy. Marinara sauce and Whiz make a GREAT pizza steak, IMO.
- Phillyjazz -

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:19 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thank you ladies and gentlemen :)

Phillyjazz, I’m honored with your designation :D

This was my first time using cheese Whiz and I truly think it’s the best way to go. It goes very well with the steak and gives the sandwich a much better flavor. As Philly stated, Provolone cheese does no have as much taste once melted. And I would never add Swiss :roll:

As far as the use of peppers, I had grilled the onions, peppers and mushrooms separately and gave my guest the choice of adding whatever topping they prefered. I personally prefer hot peppers, but no one would’ve liked that option.

Brad,
Yes, I partially froze the meat prior to slicing; it did make slicing it easer, but didn’t stay frozen until I was done.

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:05 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

That looks soooo good! :shock:

phillyjazz wrote:
I just about never order a pizza steak in a pizza joint because they put mozzarella and toast the whole thing, drying out the roll, which is supposed to be chewy. Marinara sauce and Whiz make a GREAT pizza steak, IMO.

You just gave me some serious inspiration! I never heard of a Pizza Steak... Gotta try this on the Egg sometime!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:27 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
That looks soooo good! :shock:

phillyjazz wrote:

You just gave me some serious inspiration! I never heard of a Pizza Steak... Gotta try this on the Egg sometime!

It's on every menu where you see a steak sandwich. A steak stromboli is also pretty common.
- Phillyjazz -

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:49 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Z you are killing me with those pictures! I don't even know where to start. Philly Cheesesteaks are one of my favorites and you did yourself proud. I'll have to try cheese wiz on the next batch I made. I made some rather decadent burgers a few years ago that used Cheese Wiz, Fritos, diced onions and refried beans as toppings and they were great. Don't know why I never thought of it for a Cheesesteak.

Man that picture of the finished sandwich looked good. I keep scrolling back and looking at it every minute or so. Well done!!

Jim

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:00 am
QJuju well done
well done

Just like being in Philly!

Return to General Discussion