Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Venison and lamb tips.

Venison and lamb tips.

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:11 pm
MrMilk rare
rare

Does anyone have any tips on grilling, or any other cooking, venison and lamb. I have some grass farn raised meat coming from New Zealand and need some advice. Thanks much!!!

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:28 pm
dkirn well done
well done

With that kind of meat coming I can only offer one suggestion - forward the meat my direction and I will tell you all about it!!

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:31 pm
dkirn well done
well done

OK - sorry it is a monday. I grill venison quite often and simply use fresh cracked black pepper and sea salt on both sides and then place on a hot (500 degrees) grill and seer both sides for about 3 minutes. That gives a nice crunchy outside with a medium inside. I also make a red wine based sauce for the top and add some garlic mashed potatos and a salad.

I am getting hungry now.....

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:10 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Steve has a lot of ideas on lamb in his books. I particluarly enjoyed the middle east style yogurt marinades you soak the meat in for days and still make use of them; simply unbelievable stuff. Deer depends a lot on the cut of course and you haven't specified what you're getting so I assume you mean a steak. Use any rub or marinade that you would typically use on steak from a steer, just remember that deer is very lean and cooking it much past medium will give you shoe leather. I'd recommend medium-rare. I enjoy rubs of the tex-mex variety on deer w/ cumin and of course you can't go wrong with dkirn's example either. :) Another good use would be kabobs. Goodluck and let us know what you decided/how it turns out.

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:35 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Mmmmmm ... venison kaboobs - I just added that to my dinner menu (I think I have our dinners planned for the next 3-4 weeks)

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:47 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This forum can have that effect. That and added inches to the waistline.
But as a wiseman says...Exercise, Eat Well, Die Anyway...

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:17 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

I don't have any experience with venison, but lamb, particulary lamb chops. Salt and pepper and grill over a high heat to sear. Make them rare and serve with a tomato mint salsa. A good zinfadel wine goes very well.

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:27 pm
MrMilk rare
rare

Hey, thanks everyone. I have a sample pack of beef, venison, and lamb coming sometime the first of next week. I am going to try it all before I make a serious order. I have friend in Atlanta that reps for farms in Nea Zealand and they swear by the quality of the meats. I am starting a catering business where I live and am looking for something special to add to my menus, so I thought I would try these. I will let you all know how it turns out, or if you get tp Florida, i'll throw some extra on the grill and smoker.

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:02 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Mr. Milk,

As some have said here..Venison is a much leaner meat, so don't overcook it and it will be okay. This was in another post, but their is a site www.barbecuen.com Click on the recipe link at the top of the home page and page down the list of recipe's. There are a few for Lamb and Venison, including marinades that look pretty good. Just some information for you. Good luck..hope you post your results.

Pete

Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:39 am
chagan well done
well done

Courtesy of connvalleyvineyards.com:

Encrusted Venison Loin
Serves 6
4 lb.Venison tenderloin
4 oz. dried crab apples, coarsely ground
1 cup maple syrup
1 bunch sage, finely chopped
1 cup veal stock
1 lb. unsalted butter,diced

Portion loin into 2-3 oz. cutlets, season with salt and pepper, and coat with apples. Saute in a hot pan with a bit of butter until golden brown. Remove loin and deglaze the pan with the stock, adding syrup and sage. Bring mixture to a boil, then remove. Put the rest of the butter into a blender and then pour the mixture over it. Blend for 1 minute, then season to taste with salt and white pepper. Arrange several cutlets on each plate and ladle sauce over the top.

Sounds yummy.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Return to General Discussion