Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint BBQ in Los Angeles.

BBQ in Los Angeles.

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:14 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

I've tried most of them, and most were not good.
The best, in my opinion is Willy's in Agoura Hills, off the 101 freeway. It is generally in the LA area. They smoke all meats for up to 15 hours, and the smoker in the back is always going. Restaurant is up scale in decor, and friendly staff and owner.
It is five stars and most of the rest are 2 stars. But comparing them to places in Texas or KC , they would be 3 out of 5 stars.

Of course there is Texas Tyler Hogly Wogly in Van Nuys( L. A.) Its been there for 50 years, and some people swear by them . I like them also. Decore hasn't changed in 50 years. But, bath rooms are like walking into an elegant french chateau.

Update- June 4, 2014-Willy's is now closed. And I forgot to mention that when ordering at Hogly, always ask for the meat to be dry( no house sauce) and not burnt( like in burnt ends). And Smoke City is better now.
Last edited by JPET on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:52 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

With all the air quality restrictions in L.A./SoCal I would think it would be hard to open up a barbecue place these days.

Brad

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:58 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

No real restrictions that I know of, other than those when you open a restaurant. Some have indoor smokers, some outdoor. One new one recently opened in my town of Sherman Oaks called Smoke City. It's not what it could be.

On a different note, I really miss Point beer. I've been to Wisconsin several times (as well as IL) and Point beer was my favorite. You can't buy it in CA.

Return to Best BBQ Joint