Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Some Sunday burgers

Some Sunday burgers

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:39 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I was feeling a bit burgery last weekend so I defrosted 3 pounds of ground beef and made some burgers on Sunday.

Lunch was mushroom-stuffed burgers from a recipe I received from a mailing list I subscribe to. The mustard and Worcestershire sauce were mixed into the meat; they weren't used for the stuffing. Everything else was sliced, chopped, and sauteed in butter.
Image Image Image

These were pretty good as the stuffing helped keep the burger moist and added some nice flavor and texture. The recipe actually calls for ground pork but since I have an abundance of ground beef that's what I used. I didn't do a very good job of matching the size of the burgers to the buns, though. :lol:
Image Image Image

I enjoy the PBS TV series Hubert Keller: Secrets of a Chef and a recent episode featured his Burger au Poivre recipe. Of course, anything "au poivre" will feature pepper and he adds coriander seeds for a different flavor.
Image Image

I felt that a grainy, country-style mustard would be a better fit than a smooth mustard.
Image Image

Instead of cooking the burgers on the stove or in the oven I used an iron skillet and grilled them with charcoal, oak chunks, and a closed lid to trap the smoke. I started the skillet in the kitchen since I don't have an outdoor burner and when the oil was hot I added the meat and then hauled butt 100 feet down the driveway to the grill. They really puffed up as they cooked and when they were done I grilled a couple of small baguettes.
Image Image

French cooking just isn't French without a sauce and these burgers are no exception. After they were done there were a lot of crispy brown bits in the pan, just as Chef Keller had predicted there would be! :lol: I followed the recipe and wound up with a very tasty brown sauce.
Image Image

I would've preferred a thinner burger but nonetheless these were outstanding. The recipe calls for sirloin or ribeye and I'm sure either would've made them even better, but I still thought they turned out great and the sauce is the difference as it really complemented the peppercorns and mustard.
Image Image

Brad

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:08 am
Griffin well done
well done

I will glady pay you tomorrow for a burger today. That second one looks like messy goodness. Bet it tasted great.

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:14 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

:shock: Those looks incredible! You cooked those perfectly too... that second one really does look tasty...
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:34 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Dude, food like that would make me feel burgery any day! :D

Those burgers are so different from each other that you could have them back-to-back days and not get tired of them. I also like that the French burgers are on hogie looking baguettes. 8)

Great job Brad!

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am
QJuju well done
well done

I am not sure how I missed this the first time... great looking burgers. Au Poivre is my absolute favorite steak and I like Chef Keller too. Thanks for sharing.

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:23 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Everything looks great, but I'm ALL over that 3rd burger.

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:10 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I like that "French dip" idea, as it were. Looks inviting. :D
Got beer???

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:31 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Awesome looking burgers Brad!!
Thank you for adding the link to the burger thread :)

Return to General Discussion