Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Flavorbomb Burger

Flavorbomb Burger

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:14 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I so enjoy a carne asada dinner. I wanted to incorporate this idea into a burger and experience all the flavors bursting forth in my mouth.

I had some prep work to do first. I made up a new batch or refried beans. Ain't nuttin' like homemade, and I just wuv my recipe for them. (Picture taken before beans finished reducing).

Next up, I had to make some fresh salsa. Delicious! So far, so good.

Okay, here's where the carne asada part comes in. It all begins with rub and marinade. I began with a 1/3 lb very lean ground chuck paddy. My rub of choice is Chef Merito's. That is just carne asada rub done right-- not too salty, and with a citrusy kind of accent to it that just explodes with fabulous flavors.

Worked in the rub, and added olive oil and fresh squeezed orange. Let it refrigerate overnight.

Grilled the paddy over the soft, glowing embers of mosquito lump, adding yet another bite of lavor.

Here we go, time to build. Used some of the refried beans as a spread on one of the buns. Topped with queso fresco ("fresh cheese"). For those who do not know, queso fresco is a crumbly cheese with a taste that is reminiscient of cottage or maybe even a little montery jack cheese. Whatever, that cheese goes with refried beans like steak and taters.

Then follows the paddy and salsa topping.

Now all we've got to do is top it with a red cabbage cole slaw and plate it. Used a 7-grain roll. Accompanied by baked organic blue corn tortilla chips, with plenty of remaining salsa to dip from.

For dessert, I enjoyed some sliced homegrown orange seasoned with "true" Ceylon cinnamon and some raspberries. Wow!-- all the different flavors still keep exploding!

Lastly, I cannot fail to give mention to a most enjoyable glass of Hearty Burgundy. :D

Got beer???

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:26 pm

First, I thought, "Oh, that'll be good. A carne asada seasoned burger with a salsa topping and some refried beans on the side." And then you put the beans on the burger...and then the QUESO FRESCO and I was all like, "OH NO HE DIDN'T!"

But you did. And it's awesome.
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:27 pm

But where's the Modelo?
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:34 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Delicious looking meal beercuer. I bet that wine was the perfect finish to it too. :D

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:52 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thank you very much, CookinWithFire and Smokin'gal :D

CookinWithFire-- You are very right... Modelo would have been a most appropriate accompaniment. I just wanted to experience these eats this time as more like a fine dining dinner rather than as a meal. Part of the inspiration for the beans on the bun came from the TV show "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" who did likewise.

Smokin'-- Cheers! Yes, the wine was as the icing on the cake. Enough of that and I could have tipped the wine steward, feeling all tipsy. :D
Got beer???

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:22 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Wow! That tops the burger I had for dinner! Looks very tasty! :D

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:49 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

You are too kind, Bob. :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:01 am
Griffin well done
well done

Very inventive. Way to think outside the bun. :lol:

Since its got a mexican theme, next time you should go with a telera or birote bun and make it more like a torta. Bet that would be good.

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:44 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thank you, Griffin :D

Your idea is indeed an excellent one, only that I need to avoid as much refined grains as I can. Now if I could find whole wheat or multigrain varieties...
Got beer???

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:01 pm
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:11 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Why, thank you, Grillslinger! :D Great to 'see" you again.

You know, I've been having a craving for another one, ever since I had this one. So that's on the menu for dindin tomorrow. :D
Got beer???

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:42 am
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Then make two and send one over.

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:30 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Ah, but if I only had a transporter like in Star Trek, I'd upload you one in a heartbeat, Grillslinger! :D
Got beer???

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:09 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I am literally salivating! :shock:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:23 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Wow! Thank you, Dyal, and thank you for the inspiration. I know that the cole slaw is what really kicked this burger up a notch. I am going to use that idea for a near future completely different kind of burger, too. :D
Got beer???

Next

Return to General Discussion