Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint St. Paul, Minnesota

St. Paul, Minnesota

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:10 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Gonna fly up there for a week of training at the end of June. Are there any BBQ joints I should check out while I'm there? Thanks in advance...
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:33 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal_SC wrote:
Gonna fly up there for a week of training at the end of June. Are there any BBQ joints I should check out while I'm there? Thanks in advance...

While I have no personal experience with the place a friend says that Baker's Ribs is decent, although it's a chain. But since all 9 of the other locations are in Texas the Minnesota restaurant probably has a bit of an independent feel to it.

Brad

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:07 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I'm from the area, but haven't been to much in St. Paul. Depending on where you are or how far you're willing to drive, there are a couple of places in the metro area. Personally, I like Baker's Ribs, they're in Eden Prairie. My favorite place in the area is called Q Fanatic and they're in Champlin.

People like Famous Dave's, Rudolph's, and Market BBQ, for me, they're just ok. There is a place in St. Paul called Big Daddy's BBQ that I've heard good things about, but never been there myself.

My suggestion - make the drive to Champlin (probably 45 minutes from downtown St. Paul) and go to Q Fanatic. Other suggestion - go to Hell's Kitchen in Minneapolis for the best breakfast you'll ever have. Get the bison sausage bread, the Indian porridge, and the lemon riccotta hotcakes. Awesome.
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:44 am

My suggestion is don't come to MN and expect to find good Que.

Q Fanatic was featured on "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgoQODXoBw8

Post Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:35 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks a lot, fella's! I just finalized my flight, hotel and car earlier today. My department is funding a rental car once I fly up, so I'm gonna have to check out Q fanatic. Also Hell's Kitchen if I get the chance.... thanks for the tips!!! :D
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:25 am
BBQ Deputy

Since the "Jucy Lucy" has been mentioned a couple of times recently, consider a visit to Matt's or 5-8 Club.

Brad

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:04 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks, Brad! Will do!!! I'll be up there for 5 nights, so I'm sure I'll have some time after my class. It'll be kind of boring in the hotel room all by myself, so I'll make sure to check quite a few places out on the trip!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:31 am
BBQ Deputy

Since you're a baseball fan you should check out Target Field and if the Twins are in town while you're there you could probably score a single ticket without too much trouble. Or maybe go with some people from your class. I haven't been to a Twins game since 2007 but at the time the ballpark hot dogs were pretty good... :wink:

Brad

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:59 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Now that sounds right up my alley! :D I just mapquested it, and if I typed it in right, it looks like the stadium is only 10 or 11 miles away from downtown St. Paul. Looks like they're at Home, playing the Dodgers that week. I will definitely give that a go on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for the idea!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:57 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

OK, guys...change of plans!!! I didn't realize that the CWS Finals are that week. I need to find a really good sports bar near my hotel in St. Paul, since my Gamecocks may be heading to the finals, if we beat Virginia tonight. Any suggestions?
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to Best BBQ Joint