Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Mem Day 2-Burgersx2, Buns, Taters, Dessert-Very Pix Heavy

Mem Day 2-Burgersx2, Buns, Taters, Dessert-Very Pix Heavy

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
jfm0830 well done
well done

On Saturday we celebrated my mom's birthday and I wanted to pull out all the stops. All the courses were made on the grill. My mom loves hamburgers and I figured I'd make two different ones. I made some potatoes called 3 cheese potatoes to go with the burgers. I baked the hamburger rolls too. For dessert we had grilled Apricot Pie a la Mode Sundaes. Lots of pix to get through so I'll let them tell the rest of the story.

HAMBURGER BUNS:

The hamburger rolls use a recipe from the King Arthur Flour website.

I kneaded the dough with my hand mixer for about 6 minutes.

2 hours later and the dough has had a one hour rise in a dough doubling pail followed by another 1 hour rise in the hamburger roll pan. The buns tops have been brushed with an egg wash.

The tops of the rolls had some poppy seeds added. Time to bake.

The rolls beked for 15 minutes at 375.

The rolls are resting.

3 CHEESE POTATOES

The potatoes were cut into 1" cubes. The other ingredients were diced onion, butter, finely chopped chives, grated parmesan cheese, seasoned salt & pepper.

The ingredients are tossed in a large bowl.

The ingredients are put in a foil pack. Some cubes of butter were distributed through the foil packs.

The foil pack is placed on the grill and grilled using medium heat for around 40 minutes.

This is how the potatoes looked after baking for 40 minutes in the foil pouch. I transferred them to a foil pan.

I've added diced bacon, and shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese.

The finished potatoes. These were a big hit with everyone.

BURGER NO. 1 - The Italian Meatball Burger:

This burger was made just like a meatball. It used ground beef & ground Italian sausage, Italian breadcrumbs, garlic, oregano, thyme, egg, thyme, basil & salt.

The burgers and buns have joined the potato packet on the grill.

The burgers have cooked for 7 minutes per side on medium-high heat.

During the last two minutes on the grill the burger was topped with some shredded mozzarella cheese. It is now inside and on the buns. The before the burger went out to the table it was topped with some tomato sauce.

BURGER NO. 2 - The Southwestern Burger

This burger used a simple ground beef patty seasoned with salt & pepper. All of the flavors for this burger come from the toppings. The first topping was a mustard/mayo sauce made from mayo, spicy brown mustard, cumin, lemon juice, salt & pepper.

The finished mustard mayo sauce.

The burgers cooked for 7 minutes on the first side and 5 on the second before being topped.

The first topping was a side of a grill roasted green pepper.

After the green pepper came some sharp cheddar cheese.

Some assembly required: The bottom bun receives the mustard/mayo sauce.

Next comes the burger topped with green pepper and cheese.

The burger gets topped with a slice of lettuce plus a slice of tomato and onion.

THE DINNER:

The burgers were sliced in half so people could sample each type of burger if they wanted or have 2 halves of the same version. The cheesy potatoes are on the table and it is time to eat.

The 3 Italian burgers have been cut in half and are in the lower left of this picture.

The 3 Southwestern burgers have been cut in half and are in the lower left of this picture.

The Italian burgers.

The Italian burger was very tasty and was like having Italian meatballs on a bun.

The Southwestern burger was a handful. I had to resort to skewers to hold it together on the serving platter. Though this burger was hard to eat, it was worth the effort with some simple but great flavors.

DESSERT:

The dessert recipe was called Apricot Pie a la Mode Sundae.

The apricots were cut in half and pitted and then they were tossed in a bowl with some butter. Some carmel sauce and whiskey were mixed in a small bowl.

The apricots are on the grill.

The apricots grilled for 4 minutes a side on medium high heat.

Some more assembly required. First some vanilla ice cream which gets topped with 4 apricots.

Next comes some caramel sauce.

Finally some crumbled sugar cookies are placed on top.

Dessert is served. This was the hit of the meal, everyone cleaned their plates even though we'd all eaten too much before this.

This was a long busy and fun filled day making this birthday dinner for my mom. She (and my dad) loved everything, They are still talking about it a day later. Me I am still doing dishes a day later. :shock:

Jim
Last edited by jfm0830 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Mon May 30, 2011 1:33 am

Amazing.

I want to know what your mother got you for your birthdays growing up, that you would make homemade hamburger buns to celebrate her birthday.

Seriously. Did you get you a bb gun? Maybe a dirt bike?

Joking aside, that's a good looking meal.
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Post Mon May 30, 2011 7:44 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Those buns look amazing.

Post Mon May 30, 2011 12:25 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Spectacular! I'm sure your mother was quite pleased with her b-day meal. Heck, it looks like anyone would be. I'm a huge fan of grilled or smoked fruit with ice cream, and it looks like you perfected the dessert as well. :D

Post Mon May 30, 2011 12:40 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks guys and gal.

CookinWithFire:
I know your were kidding, but the way I look at it everything that is a good quality in me I owe to my parents. Plus my mom used to make my favorite food du jour for my birthdays growing up. Now I can, I return the favor. As for the buns there is nothing better than homemade hamburger rolls. It is why I started to learn how to bake.

smokin'gal:
A compliment from you about desserts means a lot. I am dipping my toes in the water with desserts. Now be advised I didn't smoke the carmel or bake my own sugar cookies. :wink: I hope you are getting in some quality time with your gear and aren't stuck in work doing some network or server upgrade over the long weekend.

Jim

Post Mon May 30, 2011 2:08 pm
Askanison medium
medium

Everything looks great.
I'm going to steal the potato recipe for later in the week. Thanks.

Post Mon May 30, 2011 3:45 pm
p-nut well done
well done

Man that stuff looks awesome!!

Post Mon May 30, 2011 4:51 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I'm completely impressed... Buns and all!!! 8)

Post Tue May 31, 2011 8:04 am
Griffin well done
well done

For some reason, I have a craving for a hamburger now.

I need to try and make some hamburger buns now. Looks great.

Post Tue May 31, 2011 11:25 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I gotta agree that the hamburger buns look fantastic and the rest of the meal was no slouch, either! You should put a link to this thread in "One Hamburger Summer".

This was definitely one of those times when the gift of oneself was far better than a material gift.

BTW, my birthday's in November. Just sayin'. :wink:

Brad

Post Tue May 31, 2011 12:02 pm
QJuju well done
well done

I am beginning to think you had a very busy weekend! :) Looks like a great meal.

Post Tue May 31, 2011 12:13 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

QJuju wrote:
I am beginning to think you had a very busy weekend! :) Looks like a great meal.
4 days worth actually. The first post of this series is a pinwheel roast I did Friday Afternoon to kick off the weekend. It has slid down the page due to the hgh volume of posts after the Memorial Day weekend. It is great to see everybody grill up a storm.

Jim

Post Tue May 31, 2011 2:38 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

jfm0830 wrote:
QJuju wrote:
4 days worth actually. The first post of this series is a pinwheel roast I did Friday Afternoon to kick off the weekend. It has slid down the page due to the hgh volume of posts after the Memorial Day weekend. It is great to see everybody grill up a storm.

Jim

Once again, great job, Jim! And just by chance, I opened those 4 threads out of order and this one is the one I opened last. Now I have to go lie down as I've got grill overload..... :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:42 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Excellent cook, Jim! :) I love your professional photos, and your signature stamp is wicked cool! You sure do know how to treat your Momma right!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion