Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion One Hamburger Summer

One Hamburger Summer

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:43 am
SCmustardman well done
well done

Let me think about this for a minute. Market ground beef (ie scraps, lips, and well you know) for $3.29 per pound or whole chuck roast for $1.99 per pound. Well that was a no brainer. So I ground up some burgers and seasoned with Weber's gourmet burger. Served with potato rolls and my favorite cold oil french fries. I was going for medium rare but ended up medium well. I guess the fire was hotter than I thought. They were still delicious.

I've never had a bad day barbequeing or fishing. I've just had some that were better than others.

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:26 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Lookin' good, SCmustardman! It's the wife's b-day party today and I just threw on 4 slabs of babybacks. Guess what I'm having along with the ribs? Cold Oil Fries! :D My wife loooooves them, so she requested those along with the ribs today.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:24 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great looking Burgers Scmustardman,
It’s always better to grind your own meat not just cheaper. I also feel better about cooking burgers to medium-rare when I grind the meat myself.

Post Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:22 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Brad Olson suggested I put a link here to the Shepherd's Pie burger I made recently. So here we go:

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=20630

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:06 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I'll have to agree with SCMustardman's choice of seasoning. I, too, enjoy Weber's Gourmet Burger Seasoning. I use it on burgers and steaks all the time. I enjoy a little worcestershire sauce it there as well.

Started with a 1.37 lb Top Sirloin Steak and cut it into strips.
Grinded it with the fine disk in the KitchenAide and then added Weber's Gourmet Burger Seasoning and Worcestershire Sauce.
Formed it into 4 equal patties, all of which were about 1/3 lb. I don't like my burgers too thick, as I like to add all sorts of toppings. That way you don't break your jaw. :wink:
Then into the fridge they went. Stayed in there and chilled for around 35 minutes. I do this so that way they don't fall apart on the grill. Then onto the grill they went.
The wife is a self-proclaimed "simple girl", so she went with the American Cheese. I'm a "complicated" sort of guy, I admit. :lol: So I went with freshly grated Romano Cheese on mine.
Had these marninating for awhile beforehand. Tomatoes and Onions marinating in Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar. Wow, I love me some Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar. :wink:
The wife didn't use all the "fancy stuff" on her burger, but on the bottom bun of my burger, I started with a thin layer of Mayo, then some Jalapeno Mustard, some Marinated Onions, some Dill Pickles, some Sliced Roasted Red Bell Pepper, then the Burger with Romano Cheese. On the top bun was another layer of Mayo and Jalapeno Mustard, and placed my Marinated Tomato on top of the patty.
Served with "SCMustardman Fries" that the wife made. :wink: I also included the pic of the Jalapeno Mustard used, as well as the Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar I used to marinate the tomatoes and onions. The Jalapeno Mustard is GREAT on dogs and burgers. :P

Bon Appetit !!!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue May 17, 2011 9:17 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

OK everybody,

The weather's getting warmer (at least it's supposed to be) so it's time to reactivate this thread. Let's see those burger creations!

Brad

Post Wed May 18, 2011 2:29 pm

So I made these a couple weeks ago. I think the stuffing was just cream cheese and bacon with a mild bbq rub sprinkled inside. It was a hurried job, as you'll see, hence the poor seal and the cheese oozing out. I topped them with a slice of grilled red onion (which has excellent flavor). Actually, if I remember right, I had to do everything on the CI griddle so these aren't actually grilled.

A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Post Wed May 18, 2011 3:46 pm
BBQ Deputy

Nothing wrong with a little escaping cheese. It serves to warn the eater that there's hot stuff inside! :lol:

Brad

Post Thu May 19, 2011 9:01 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Yeah this is a good thread to keep going, and I guess I'm going to have to start taking pictures again. A week or so ago, I did some burgers that were really good. I minced some canned chipotles and added them to the ground beef along with sea salt, black pepper, ground cumin, & granulated garlic. Topped the grilled burgers with pepper jack cheese and grilled onion slices.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Wed May 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Stand by for pics - making bacon and cheese infused burgers (which I know have been done a million times, but there's a reason for that). Will be topping with grilled onion and maybe some more cheese.
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Post Thu May 26, 2011 6:17 pm

They who were responsible forgot the onion so no grilled onion.

I really didn't get any telling pictures of the insides of the burger, but I can say that by really getting a good sear on the outside, I was able to lock most of the shredded extra sharp cheddar in which made for a great taste with the smokey bacon.

Mixing it up. I put close to 1.5 cups of cheddar and 5 bacon slices (diced) for 2.5lbs of meat. Also included some "Texas" bbq sauce, cumin, cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper.

Off the grill.

With the grilled green beans and garlic doused with red wine vinegar over the fire (red wine or balsamic vinegar tossed over the veg and allowed to drip down into the fire give the veg a unique and great flavor).

Plated. I topped mine with a blue cheese/Monterey infusion which essentially allows for a sliceable blue cheese.

I wish I would've got a picture of it cut open - the meat had an interesting color with the cheddar mixed in.

Post Fri May 27, 2011 9:00 am
BBQ Deputy

Looks great! That's an interesting trick with the balsamic vinegar, too. Did you mince the garlic into the beans?

Brad

Post Fri May 27, 2011 10:22 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Dang, CWF! :shock: Those look great! I notice that there are no buns. Are you on a low carb diet? You gotta love those grilling pans. Your beans look awesome too!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri May 27, 2011 11:15 am

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Looks great! That's an interesting trick with the balsamic vinegar, too. Did you mince the garlic into the beans?

Brad

I actually soaked a combination of thinly sliced garlic and crushed garlic in olive oil and a bit of salt then added to the green beans when I got them over the coals.

Dyal_SC wrote:
Dang, CWF! :shock: Those look great! I notice that there are no buns. Are you on a low carb diet? You gotta love those grilling pans. Your beans look awesome too!

It's not necessarily low carb, but I do keep grains and their derivatives to a minimum. I eat root vegetables and beans occasionally.

That's not to say that, from time to time, I don't indulge in a real pulled pork sammich, or some good cornbread. But for something as regular as burgers, I'll leave the bun out.

Post Tue May 31, 2011 12:08 am

I was really not happy about having to make turkey burgers so I though, "I'm going to fix these."

There are some similarities to the last ones I posted. I mixed cheddar and bacon with the ground meat and I had green beans. I'll leave the picture of the beans out, but I'll say that I topped them with a balsamic reduction which seeped under the burger bun and soaked into the bun to add ANOTHER layer of flavor.

Mixed in the bacon, cheese, bbq sauce, and an egg with the...ugh...ground turkey.

Even after throwing it into the freezer for 15 minutes, the meat was still not all that firm. I actually just brought the bowl out to the grill and threw the patties right on as I formed them.

Then the jalapenos:

Then the cheese - one of the rare cases where I used american:

Fry thick bacon:

Top it:

And the magic - a fried egg:

The cross-sectional:

And the last bite:

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion