Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grills for Beer Can Chicken

Grills for Beer Can Chicken

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:52 pm
Aaron

I'm in the market for a new grill. Can someone tell me if a 221/2 inch Weber Charcoal Kettle grill is big enough to cook beer can chicken on? I've always wanted to cook this recipe, but just want to make sure the grill is big enough before I buy it!

Thanks-
A

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:15 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Aaron -

My understanding is that it will work fine, however I do not have that grill myself. Another thing that you need to consider is the size of the chicken - I need to use a smaller chicken to fit in my grill.

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:35 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

The Weber is probably big enough, but the problem with some Webers is adding charcoal during the cooking. I have been partial to the Char-Broil CB940 Charcoal Grill found at http://www.grilllovers.com/ It has a high hood, and it is easy to add charcoal.

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:33 pm
chagan well done
well done

I have the Weber Patinum 22.5 series and it is plenty large enough for the beer can chicken (I've had oven stuffer roasters standing on end in the grill without hitting the lid). Also, I must disagree that it is difficult to add charcoal during the cooking process. With the Weber hinged grill grate, you simply lift up the hinge and add charcoal on either side of the bird without the need to take the bird off the grill. I don't know how much easier the Char-broil is, but this is no real bother for me.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:53 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

What chagan said. You'll find the quality standards, accessory assortment and customer service superior with the Weber as well.

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:33 pm
dkirn well done
well done

My experiences with a Weber - you must have a hinged grill grate. That is the only way to cook anything that requires a little bit of time on the grill. Also I find that it is easier to control the heat with fewer charcoal - if you need more heat you can add more coals

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:36 am
Aaron

Thanks guys, for all of your feedback on this. I greatly appreciate your responses to my question!

Looking forward to trying it...

Best,
Aaron

Return to General Discussion