Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Cactus Ranch (Madison, WI)

Cactus Ranch (Madison, WI)

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:06 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Last night we had dinner at the Cactus Ranch on University Avenue. It's kind of a combination southwest/barbecue/burger place but the menu states that the meats are smoked in-house so I gave the brisket a try and my wife ordered tacos made with smoked chicken. The food was pretty good; my beef was chopped rather than sliced but it was still moist with a light smoke flavor and a little bit (but not too much) of fat. I'd definitely go back to give the pulled pork a try, although I get to that part of the city about once every 10-12 years. :lol:

I thought about having a couple of Lone Stars with dinner but I remember it as being not very good from the times I had it back in the early 1980s, so I settled for PBR instead.

Brad

Post Tue May 03, 2011 9:20 pm
WIGS rare
rare

Where is this near? I go to Wandos. Near that?

Post Wed May 04, 2011 9:03 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

2700 block of University, which would place it about 21 blocks west of Wando's. That'd make for a nice walk on a spring day.

Brad

Post Sat May 14, 2011 6:07 pm
Andy medium
medium

Wow- before I was married, I lived less than a block from that location. Wish the restaurant was there back then. Just noticed that they are yet another Food Fight restaurant. They also just bought the Avenue Bar, one of my favorite places. Hope they don't screw it up.
Andy

Weber Genesis 1000
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 18.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 14.5" Smoky Joe

Return to Best BBQ Joint