Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Planning some "travel 'cue" in 2011?

Planning some "travel 'cue" in 2011?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:31 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've mapped out my travel plans for this year and hope to visit some local barbecue places; Woody's Smoke Shack and Smokey D's in particular but I'll take anything I can find between here and northern Wisconsin, northeastern Wisconsin, central Iowa, central Indiana, and southern Ohio. And you can bet I'll report on what I find! :wink:

Has anyone else planned some trips that involve barbecue along the way or at the final destination? Let's see if we can get some travelogue-style threads in this forum this year.

Maybe I'll even get a chance to meet some other members; for example, Rogerja can buy me lunch in Dayton, Ohio this August! :lol:

Brad

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:41 pm

My only "Q" trip scheduled so far for this year, is to the "Memphis in May" barbecue competition. Not compettng this year, just going for the fun and good food! I'm sure we will hit a few (okay, MANY) Q-joints along the way.

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:17 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Another_Q_Lover wrote:
My only "Q" trip scheduled so far for this year, is to the "Memphis in May" barbecue competition. Not compettng this year, just going for the fun and good food! I'm sure we will hit a few (okay, MANY) Q-joints along the way.

Wow - that ought to be quite a trip! If you get a chance, post a few pics, please. :D

My dream BBQ tour would be to check out some of the legendary spots in BBQ USA and in this forum, and then top it off with a trip to Memphis In May, the Kansas City Royal, or the Jack Daniels Invitational. Kinda makes the Canadian National look like a backyard cookout by comparison. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:23 pm
Adayoff2Q medium
medium

In central Indiana, GT South's is definitely worth a visit - sits in an old strip mall just North of Indianapolis around 71st street. They have a website and offer a great three meat combo platter for $16 - I am just not sure however, if the que is made on-site or off.
I Grill Therefore I Am - Socrates

22.5 in. Weber X 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Kenmore Elite Gasser

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:02 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I'm heading to Nashville the weekend of March 17th, then I'm heading up to Richmond, KY (right outside of Lexington, KY) the week of March 27th......I plan on hitting up LOTS of BBQ joints in both Nashville and Lexington. :D :D I'm excited about that. I'll make sure to take some pics of the different BBQ joints.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:13 am
BBQ Deputy

I'm leaving Thursday for Iowa so I've been checking around online to see what sort of barbecue options I might have...and I've found that there's not much outside of the larger cities like Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, etc. Plenty of traditional Iowa/Midwestern staples, though, so I know I won't starve.

Maybe I'll stumble across some little place that's not quite on the map. But then again I think that's how "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" starts out... :shock: :lol:

Brad

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:49 am
BBQ Deputy

The next trip starts Wednesday and I've found 3 barbecue places in Indiana that I'd like to visit, although the odds are that I'll only be able to manage 2 since they're not too far apart. Plus there'll be a pork tenderloin in Illinois, some tamales in Indianapolis, and maybe this year I'll finally try some Cincinnati chili!

Brad

Return to Best BBQ Joint