Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Electric Water Smoker

Electric Water Smoker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:56 pm

Hi all, boy this thread has gotten really good. My thanksgiving turkey came out great. Very moist and sweet. Wings and legs were a little overdone but I'll chalk that up to the learning curve. Should have foiled them about halfway through. All told though, got many compliments on the bird.

DC 10, interesting thought about the pea gravel. Where inside the smoker are you using that? What brand of smoker are you using? Also thanks for the heads up on the insulator blanket. I'll have to check out Cabelas and get one. I really want to use the smoker in colder weather but find it tough to keep the temps up when it's really chilly.

Jeff

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:21 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Great to hear that your Thanksgiving turkey received good reviews. There's a lot of good ideas here. I can hardly wait to get my hands on the electric smoker. Just reading these posts has increased my interest even more.

Pete

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:46 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'll agree on the imparting of flavor, but the aroma is something else. I truely love soaking my woodchips in Bourbon. Oh boy! I know Jack Daniels makes/sells wood chips but I have yet to try them. The water pan is very similar. As long as a liquid is there you're all set.

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:22 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I have never thought about soaking my wood chips in Bourbon I usually just soak them in beer - I will have to give it a try

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:07 pm

As a follow up we just killed off the last of the turkey. I chopped up all of the leftover dark meat with the gravy. added some chopped up veggies and put it all together like an english pot pie with mashed potatoes doused in butter with allspice drizzled on top as the topper. It was wonderful and a great way to make use of the less desirable parts of the bird. YumYum.

Jeff

Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:06 pm
supersmoker

I use my left over brine mix in the water pan, @ add what ever beer im drinking that day. Water was made to wash things not cook fine meats, Just use what u have and be thank full the old lady cant find u in all that smoke.

Previous

Return to General Discussion