Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Grandpa's Barbecued Pastramied Short Ribs

Grandpa's Barbecued Pastramied Short Ribs

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:35 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I picked up some nice English-cut short ribs and after going through Ribs, Ribs, Ribs. I decided to try the recipe called "Grandpa's Barbecued Pastramied Short Ribs".

It starts with a wet rub that includes anise, which is why I asked the question about anise substitutes a few days ago. In this case I decided to use a liquid extract.

The ribs were good and meaty so I was able to use a lot of rub. Of course, being short ribs they were also good and fatty.
Image Image

The ribs can be either grilled indirect or smoked, and I chose to do the former with Royal Oak briquettes and a little oak in the 22" Weber kettle. They developed a very nice crust and the fat is pretty obvious.
Image Image

I didn't get as much of a smoke ring as I thought I might but the meat came out pretty tender and really does have a pastrami-like flavor. I would definitely make these again!
Image Image

Brad

Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:45 am
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:04 am
BBQ Deputy

Finished the leftovers for breakfast this morning. Warmed them up in the microwave and they were swimming in a pool of fat... :wink:

Brad

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:44 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Brad:
I missed this post initially because this section is kinda off my radar screen. Those ribs looked great to me and it sounds like they tasted great too. As for the smoke ring, it looks about like what I'd expect from the beef ribs I've done. It doesn't penetrate into the meat as far as pork, but it is a more intense color.

I'm curious if you were even able to detect the flavor of the anise with everything else going on in those ribs?

Jim

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:02 pm
BBQ Deputy

Jim, I couldn't detect it by itself but have no idea if omitting it would've made a noticeable difference. Based on aroma alone I could've substituted NyQuil! :lol:

Some interesting info about anise can be found here.

If I use one of Steven's recipes and have postable results I try to put them here, and use the general forum for cooks from other sources.

Brad

Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:39 am
QJuju well done
well done

Short ribs are one of my favorites...nice job on those! I will be trying that recipe sometime.

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:15 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Brad, I haven't tried those exact ribs yet, but they're at the top of my list this year. Great pics! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

BBQ Deputy

Medieval Britain wrote:
Hi Brad, I did'nt know that English short cut ribs are tender? When I lived in the UK every steak and rib I had was so thin and tough. It was only when I moved to Germany that I realised that steak on the European Continent was nice and thick and a good steak had fat so that it tastes like a steak, as in the US.

Maybe I should've referred to them as "relatively tender". :lol: It definitely helped to cut them as thin as possible!

Brad

Return to Testimonials