Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion still talking turkey

still talking turkey

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:48 pm
GrillGuy rare
rare

just wanted to get some opinions on smoking turkey--
i loved smoked turkey, but i'm thinking about trying to do it a new way--with the skin off.
2 reasons for this: 1) the skin always comes out like leather after i smoke it for several hours and i end up discarding it anyways, and 2) i think the skin stops most of the smoke from getting inside the meat.
I don't know if it's even feasible to smoke a whole turkey with the skin off, and i realize that it would mean i wouldn't be able to inject it with butter since the skin is what holds it it.
I'm wondering if it's a crazy idea, or maybe someone here has tried it before?

Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:55 am
dkirn well done
well done

I have not tried that, but I agree with your thoughts however my only concern would be that the turkey would dry out easier without the skin.

Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:54 am
GrillGuy rare
rare

that's a good point, dkirn.

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:55 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Here's my thoughts:
1. The skin doesn't hold the injection marinade in, the meat does, that why you inject it. If you're having problems with your marinade boiling out, try poking the bird less, stab it once, and get the marinade to different spots by angling the needle in different directions. You may need to drive deeper too.
2. Try putting a seasoned butter under the skin.
3. Make sure you're using oil/grease/fat on the skin. I like to rub mine with oilve oil and garlic salt and pepper. Simple but its my favorite. I add more oil about every 1 hour.
4. Taking the skin off will dry the bird out faster, but you could help this with more oil/grease/fat.
5. It will gretly ad to the smoky flavor, but so will cooking it lower, slower, and smokier.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:39 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

I wouldn’t take the skin off to smoke the turkey. I believe that you would get a too intense of smoke flavor on the meat. Just a personal preference of mine……….

Return to General Discussion