Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion getting pork to pull--what works for me

getting pork to pull--what works for me

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:20 pm
GrillGuy rare
rare

i've searched the posts here and read many sources on how to get a pork shoulder to pull. I've seen another guy's comments (he is the author of another BBQ book) which said that pork will not pull unless you smoke it at at least 275 deg. He had "scientific info" to back this claim up, but my experience did not agree with this. in the past i've always cooked the pork in my weber grill (always following the directions in Steven's books) and never got it to pull.

I finally found a full day that i didn't have to do anything except watch football, and smoked a 4 1/2 pound shoulder in my vertical smoker at about 210-220 for 13 hours, wrapping it in foil the last 3 hours. It just fell apart when i started to try to pull it. It was the most tender, most pullable pork i've ever made.
So "low & slow" is definitely the way to go (hey, i'm a poet).

grillguy

Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:34 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Yeppers, that's how ya do it! :wink: Weber bullet?

Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:55 am
GrillGuy rare
rare

actually the smoker i've been using lately is the Smokey Mountain series model 3000 (by The Great Outdoors). I really like this smoker. 8)

Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:06 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I made the same mistake early on with the first few times that I tried to make pulled pork. Now I just make sure that the internal temp is 195 and it pulls perfect. Also I maintain my temp at 225

Return to General Discussion