Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Day after Thanksgiving Traditions

Day after Thanksgiving Traditions

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:42 am
dkirn well done
well done

OK so I thought it was time that I proposed a topic for discussion .....

The Day After Thanksgiving Traditions

For about 8-10 years now we have had a tradition of gathering the day after Thanksgiving with friends and some family for a full tackly football game. The game starts at 10:00 am and we play for about 2 hours or until a major bone is broken (the distincition of a MAJOR bone is required - play will not stop for a broken little pinky). We have about 20-25 people that come to play, but everyone is encoraged to bring spouses and children along for the fun. After the game we sit down to watch the highlight reel (yes we video tape the whole game) and previously we had chili and beer. This year due to my new obsession of BBQ ( and the recent addion of a rather large smoker) we will be having ribs, pulled pork and brisket, and also some chicken wings (thanks to the great recipe from Grand Scale on another post here). THis year I will be fixing approx 18-20 slabs of ribs; 5 pork butts; 5 briskets and about 50 lbs of ribs. It may seem like a lot of food, but last year we had 140 people attend and it looks like 165 so far for this year! :shock:

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:54 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

dkirn wrote:
THis year I will be fixing approx 18-20 slabs of ribs; 5 pork butts; 5 briskets and about 50 lbs of ribs. It may seem like a lot of food, but last year we had 140 people attend and it looks like 165 so far for this year! :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

And I consider myself a "Grand Scale" Guy? Wow man you take the cake!!
I bow in respect!!

Although if I were you I think I'd go whole hog. Go for a 150lb hog plus the briskets. Would be alot less work.

But good luck man, you've got my respect!!!

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:06 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Sounds like a great time! I hang lights on Friday, do some end of year yard work and eat left overs. Sunday, I attend an NFL game should my team be home that day which they are this year against the Eagles.

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:11 am
hickory pete well done
well done

dkirn,
WOW! What a feast. You have my respect also. It sure would be nice if you were our next door neighbor. Let me know if you decide to move to Michigan.

Pete

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:45 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Grand Scale -

I thought about doing a whole hog - but when I suggested it not only did my wife veto it but some of the other women felt that it would be "disgusting"

As you know once the wife has spoken....

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:47 pm
dkirn well done
well done

hickory pete -

If I ever decide to move to Michigan I will let you know so that I have someone to help me prepare these kinds of feasts. I love Michigan and of course ....

GO BLUE - ROSE BOWL BABY!

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:51 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I just noticed a typo in my first post - the 50 lbs of meat will be chicken wings - not ribs, however I just picked up my ribs and there are over 50 lbs of ribs.

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:02 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

The day after Thanksgiving...

In recent years, I have spent the day with one of my son's just enjoying the day, and relaxing, while all the women in the Family go on a shopping blitz. In some of the past years, I have gone back into the woods to go deer hunting (of course that won't be happening this year). In General, the day after is spent quietly, and is very restful. Eating leftovers is also a part of the day.

Pete

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:51 pm

dkirm

I am totally impressed with the feast and football game, except for the broken bone. Geeze. Beats our tradition of basically cooking for the Saturday Thanksgiving to have the other side of the family.

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:52 pm

The above guest was Thrroff who still cannot figure out why sometimes this place lets him register and post and sometimes not......................... :roll:

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:22 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Anonymous wrote:
The above guest was Thrroff who still cannot figure out why sometimes this place lets him register and post and sometimes not......................... :roll:

Thrroff,

At the "Barbecue Bible Website" home page there is a link at the very bottom (in small print) that reads "contact us". That is who to contact if you are having trouble with the site. They have been really helpful to me in correcting some problems that I was having. If you can't find that link, their e-mail address is info@workman.com. I hope that helps you. You can even set it up so that you are automatically logged on when you go to this website. Good luck.

Pete

Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:59 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Thanks everyone for the support for the big cookout. I have just started the fire in the smoker and will be putting the briskets on in about an hour to get everything going. I have a long night of cooking ahead of me but I am as excited as a kid on Christmas morning - we will see how I am tomorrow morning.

I will let everyone know how it turns out!

Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:00 am
dkirn well done
well done

Well I just thought that I would give everyone an update on the very large smoking event. After a full night of cooking I was a little tired but all of the food came out excellent. The football game did not last very long since everyone kept smelling the smoke from the smoker and was getting very hungry. The only down side is that everyone has told me that I should expect more people next year because the news of the great food will get around. The rough head count this year was 155 so I am aftraid of what will come next year!

Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:23 am
hickory pete well done
well done

dkirn,

Glad to hear that your feast was a hit with the crowd. Sounds like everyone had a great time. 155 people...WOW!!

Pete

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:42 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You are a god among men!

Next

Return to General Discussion