x

The Best BBQ Delivered to You!

Sign up here for Steven’ Raichlen’s weekly Up in Smoke e-newsletter (and get a free ‘Best Burgers’ e-book!).

Menu

News & Information

Courage in Grilling

Courage in Grilling

People write to Steven all the time asking how to overcome their grilling challenges. But Rich Hamel, a blind griller from South Carolina, simply wanted advice on replacing his aging gas grill. Steven was intrigued by his grilling confidence, andwrote back asking if Rich would share some of his tricks and techniques (and a photo).
Here is Rich’s letter:
Thank you for the grill recommendations. This will give me some enjoyable homework to do.
You had some specific questions on how I, a blind person, manage a grill.
I typically cook for 2 to 4 people. I use your suggested method of testing the heat of the grill by putting my hand 3 inches [above the grill grate] and counting how many seconds it takes to sting. [See Steven’s Note below.]
By feeling the knobs on the front of the grill, I can orient myself to know where food is on the grates. I have used a talking thermometer for roasts. A shorter spatula gives me a better feel when handlling meat. Certain foods can be tested for doneness by your “poke” method, and at times, the “beer” method–i.e., two Guiness for rare, or three for medium!
By the way, I use your brine recipe and love your recipes in one of the cookbooks for
marinades and grilling.
Rich

Thank you, Rich, for reminding us how important intuition is to a grill master. We salute you.