Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Reheating pulled pork in a crock pot?

Reheating pulled pork in a crock pot?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 24, 2010 9:00 am

What is the best method for reheating pulled pork? I'm planning a bbq where I'd like to have pulled pork available earlier in the day without having to watch my smoker overnight. I figure it would also be convenient for traveling BBQ.

I have a vaccum sealer, freezer, and crock pot. I also have large vaccum sealer containers as well as the bags.

Post Mon May 24, 2010 9:29 am

My suggestion would be to vacuum seal the cooked Q and then submerge it underwater in the crook pot (on low!) to keep it warm. That way it won't dry out or be saturated.

Just a thought.

Post Mon May 24, 2010 11:08 am
rogerja well done
well done

Leave the butt whole (or "smush" it after removing the bone). This will keep juices in. You can then pull and reheat in the crock with some vinegar or apple juice the day you want to reheat.

Post Mon May 24, 2010 11:56 am
Lazy Qer well done
well done

I just did this the other day as I reheated about 4 lbs of pulled pork for a friend's wine tasting/ engagement party. I reheated in a crock pot set on "low" for about 4 hours before the party and poured in a 16 oz. bottle of Coke. Turned out awesome as usual (nice and juicy). Note: it has to be Coke, not Pepsi as Pepsi is too sweet. And, nope, no "Coke" flavor at all (just adds a nice sweetness in addition to moisture).
"It ain't bragging if you can do it" - Babe Ruth

Post Mon May 24, 2010 12:32 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Lazy Qer wrote:
I just did this the other day as I reheated about 4 lbs of pulled pork for a friend's wine tasting/ engagement party

I think this is the first time I've ever seen "pulled pork" and "wine tasting" in the same sentence! :lol:

Brad

Post Mon May 24, 2010 12:46 pm
rogerja well done
well done

Brad_Olson wrote:
Lazy Qer wrote:
I just did this the other day as I reheated about 4 lbs of pulled pork for a friend's wine tasting/ engagement party

I think this is the first time I've ever seen "pulled pork" and "wine tasting" in the same sentence! :lol:

Brad

Me too. Now I gotta know, which wines went best? I'm thinking a more acidic red to cut through the fattiness of the pork, and counterbalance the sweetness.

Post Mon May 24, 2010 12:49 pm
Lazy Qer well done
well done

Actually, it went very well with the Pinot Noirs and the Sauvignon Blancs. The right wine goes very well with BBQ... Just got to pair it up right (I had very little sweet sauce in the pork, more of a tart vinegary sauce as it was mostly cider vinegar with some Sweet Baby Ray's. Reheating it with some Coke made it perfectly delicious without adding a lot of sweet).

BBQ ain't just for beer anymore :wink:
"It ain't bragging if you can do it" - Babe Ruth

Post Mon May 24, 2010 7:29 pm
Defcon rare
rare

I've had great success with fully prepared BBQ pulled pork. I shred the pork, add my BBQ sauce, additional rub and a little apple juice then freeze it in heavy duty zip lock bags. When ever I get the itch for some BBQ pork I just remove the zip lock, wrap in foil and toss back on the grill. I can't tell the difference from freshly prepared pulled pork. I'm sure you could bring it back to life in a crock pot too.
Char-Griller SP W/SFB
22.5 w rotisserie - 22.5 WSM
ProQ Exel 20

Post Tue May 25, 2010 5:41 pm
Diggles rare
rare

When I tried this, I put the pulled pork in the crock pot direct from the fridge along with some of the vinegar BBQ sauce from "How to Grill". Turned out REALLY good.

Post Wed May 26, 2010 12:44 pm
burgers rare
rare

I do this all the time. It's a win all the way 'round! Letting the pulled pork sit in the fridge a day or two really heightens the smokiness. f

I reheat in a crock pot on high for about 45 minutes, then drop it to "keep warm" setting. I add either some finishing sauce or a 50/50 beer/apple juice mix occasionally to keep it moist. Works great! I do the same thing with chopped brisket. As long as folks keep the lid on when their not digging pork out, it never dries out.
TANSTAAFL

Return to General Discussion