Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Bark or no bark

Bark or no bark

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:24 pm
brickman rare
rare

I'm lucky to have a small piece of wooded land with mixed hardwoods like oak, maple, cherry, hickory, and apple. I've always cut and dried my own wood for smoking and have always left the bark on the chunks I use. Just wondering what you guys think about leaving the bark on the wood.
WSM 18.5"
2-Weber Silver 22.5"
Weber Silver 18.5"

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:19 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

I've never had any problem with leaving the bark on the wood. What I do, and have heard many others say the same thing, is leave the bark on any pieces of wood that have it, but if it falls off on its own then I throw it away.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:27 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The only time I've had trouble with bark is if there is mold or mildew on it. I normally trim those bits off because they can leave on unpleasant flavor on the meat. For the most part, leaving the bark on the wood is perfectly fine.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:34 am
TSMFLORIDA well done
well done

I agree with them. Some suppliers of wood chunk have bark on and others remove it. I don't notice a difference either way. If the bark falls off, I still use it. Just depends on the size. Smaller pieces are saved as chips for when I grille. Bigger pieces are used in the smoker.
Ted
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
22" Vertical Smoker
Pro Q cold smoke generator
BBQ grillware charcoal grille

Return to General Discussion