Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hot Tub steak help- updated with pictures

Hot Tub steak help- updated with pictures

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
SCmustardman well done
well done

I'm thinking of cooking some Strip steaks using the hot tub method. I know that most people put the steaks in 100 degree water for an hour to get the interior temp up. My question is how long do you grill them to get to medium rare. I assume that it would not be as long as a steak that is sitting on the counter for 30 minutes like I usually do. Any help would be much appreciated.
Last edited by SCmustardman on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've never had a bad day barbequeing or fishing. I've just had some that were better than others.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:14 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

I haven't tried the hot tub method yet, but the way I understand is that you just sear them over high heat for about 2 minutes per side after you take them out of the tub. They should be just about to your liking then, but you should check them with an instant read thermometer to make sure you don't have to go a little more after the sear.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:32 pm
FrankC well done
well done

Kenny 13 wrote:
I haven't tried the hot tub method yet, but the way I understand is that you just sear them over high heat for about 2 minutes per side after you take them out of the tub. They should be just about to your liking then, but you should check them with an instant read thermometer to make sure you don't have to go a little more after the sear.

Like Kenny said, depending on how thick the steak is. I've been experimenting with hot tubbing, a bit more like sous vide. I set up a very large pot of water, get to about 120 degrees, place something in the bottom of the pot so the steaks won't touch the bottom of the pot. Then I put in my food saver packaged steaks, and place something on top to keep them submerged in the water. Then I set up my maverick et-73 to let me know if the temp exceeds 125....when it does, I add some cool water.

I'll let the steaks stay in that "bath", if you will, for 2 or 3 hours. Fire up your grill to searing temps, and grill about 90 - 120 seconds per side, then pull them. I'm usually grilling 1.5 inch thick steaks. Like Kenny said, check your temp with a good instant read thermometer. Let them rest for about 15 minutes covered loosely, and you've got yourself the best steak you ever made!

I know, it's sounds time consuming, but it's really not. When you hear the maverick alarm go off, just add some cool water.

fc :)
Large Big Green Egg
Medium Big Green Egg

Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Thanks for the clarification Frank. Looking forward to trying that myself.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:41 pm
FrankC well done
well done

The first time I did it, my wife came into the kitchen....."what in the world are you doing?"

After dinner, she said "you need to do that more often"!

Large Big Green Egg
Medium Big Green Egg

Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:40 pm
SCmustardman well done
well done

Thanks for all the help. I have 4 steaks in the hot tub right now at about 110. :lol: I'll post some pictures of the results. I'm also cooking some french fries using the cold start method. It is another funky method that results in the best fries that you have ever tasted.
I've never had a bad day barbequeing or fishing. I've just had some that were better than others.

Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:35 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

SCmustardman wrote:
Thanks for all the help. I have 4 steaks in the hot tub right now at about 110. :lol: I'll post some pictures of the results. I'm also cooking some french fries using the cold start method. It is another funky method that results in the best fries that you have ever tasted.

Dude, couldn't you have thrown another steak in the bath for me? We live in the same town and everything. I thought this forum was a brotherhood?? :) Just kidding, can't wait to see the results and get your feedback! I've been thinking about trying this method myself.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:28 pm
FrankC well done
well done

SCmustardman wrote:

Where's the pics!?!? Seriously, did you like the finished product?

Large Big Green Egg
Medium Big Green Egg

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:48 pm
SCmustardman well done
well done

Too many Guiness to post pictures last night so here we go.

Cold oil fries. Notice the oil is not bubbling.

Steak cooked to perfection. Finished with a pan sauce of bacon, red wine, mustard, balsamic, and shallots. First night we have eaten outside in a while.

The fries were about 2 minutes overdone, but the steak was perfect. I did about 2 minutes per side, 3 minutes on one thicker steak. I highly recommend this method for steak and fries as well.

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:20 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Looks great!!
I’ve never tried this method before and I have one question. Did the steak have a good grill flavor? Since the grilling time was brief, I was just wondering if it had enough grill flavor to it?

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:31 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Wow, looks amazing! Those fries look great too! What exactly is the cold oil method?
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:06 am
SCmustardman well done
well done

BBcue-Z wrote:
Looks great!!
I’ve never tried this method before and I have one question. Did the steak have a good grill flavor? Since the grilling time was brief, I was just wondering if it had enough grill flavor to it?

I was worried about the same thing, but they did have a good grill flavor. I used Kingsford competition which burns pretty hot. I let the grates preheat for a while which gave the steaks a nice sear.

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:12 am
SCmustardman well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
Wow, looks amazing! Those fries look great too! What exactly is the cold oil method?

With the cold oil method, you put the cut potatoes in cold oil, then turn the heat to high. They start boiling in about 5 minutes. Then after another 15 minutes you give them a stir. Then they are done in another 5 minutes. Apparently it only works with Yukon golds do to the starch content. If you stir them before they crisp up a little, they will fall apart. They actually absorb less oil than the traditional frying method and the oil does not splatter nearly as much since it never gets that hot. It seems weird but they are the best fries that I have ever made at home. I made another batch on Saturday night.

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:18 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Wow, good to know! I've got to give them a try. How did you slice them so pretty? Do you have a potato cutter or something? Hmmm...maybe a fresh ground burger and fries night tonight. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
SCmustardman well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
Wow, good to know! I've got to give them a try. How did you slice them so pretty? Do you have a potato cutter or something? Hmmm...maybe a fresh ground burger and fries night tonight. :)

I got a potato cutter for Christmas. It is awesome. Shouldn't you be at work? :D

Next

Return to General Discussion