Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Thermometers ?

Thermometers ?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:18 pm
csouth raw
raw

What is a good brand of meat thermometer and where could one purchase such a thing.
Also I was given a very large meat smoker and can regular oven thermometers be used on the inside. For one reason to judge the heat for left to right in the smoke chamber.

Thanks for any advice.

Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:37 pm
jim@jimfietz.com

While you can use a regular oven or a meat themometer, they will be covered in smoke soon and be hard to read, I've done this and they get to be a real mess but it will work.
your best bet is to use a quick read thermometer ond take it out right away, or if you use a regular one put it in only when you are close to bieng done

Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:47 pm
NYC BBQ

I got an instant read themoter from bed, bath and beyond for like 5$

Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:20 am
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:06 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I have two. A regular digital one that you stick in the meat whenever you need a reading. There are many brands available for about $10. Get a digital one because the sensors are right at the tip for an accurate reading. The dial type has the sensors about 1/2 inch up the stem from the tip. When I'm cooking something big, like a whole chicken or roast, I use my Polder remote. Just insert the probe and run the wire out to the display unit sitting outside the grill. Set desired temperature and it beeps when the meat is done. These are available on the Web (Yahoo amoung others) and cost about $20.

Return to General Discussion