Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion UDS / Homemade Barrel Cookers

UDS / Homemade Barrel Cookers

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:47 am
Tosprops medium
medium

Thanks for the help. Has anyone tried sand blasting the liner out of a drum?
Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB - For Sale
Weber 18" WSM
UDS
Bubba Keg
KCBS CBJ

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:55 am
IronStomach medium-well
medium-well

Tosprops wrote:
Thanks for the help. Has anyone tried sand blasting the liner out of a drum?

Yes, I've heard it works. The drum reconditioner companies do that too.

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:43 am
naterea medium
medium

What does everyone do about the wire leads for their mavericks? Do you just run the leads through the exhaust holes or make a little hole in the side near the top for the wires?
55 gallon UDS
Weber 22.5 Kettle
Charbroil Silver Smoker

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:01 pm
IronStomach medium-well
medium-well

naterea wrote:
What does everyone do about the wire leads for their mavericks? Do you just run the leads through the exhaust holes or make a little hole in the side near the top for the wires?

I'm not at the Maverick stage yet. Some people cut extra holes in the side of the drum and use a closed gap rubber grommet that seals up to put the probe through. Could probably wrap a 2" flank of tinfoil around the lead wire and use that to stick up the hole.

If you run it through a hole in the lid, then make sure to make a hook for your lid to attach to the side of the drum (think Weber Kettles) or you'll have a bear of a time playing with the wire every time you open the hood.

Another option if you're handy with a dremel or small metal cutter, to cut a groove in the lid so it won't pinch the wires when you close it. Would need to be small or it may turn into another exhaust port. Heck... you could also plug up one exhaust hole in the lid and cut one into the side and run the leads that way.

Not sure if I'm making any sense, just babbling ideas as they pop into my brain. Good luck!

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:55 am
Tosprops medium
medium

naterea wrote:

I'm going to install a 1/2 inch NM/SE Watertight Connector and use it to run the probe leads through the smoker's wall. Here are some links -

http://www.lowes.com/pd_45744-15527-490 ... Bconnector

http://www.nothingbuthardware.com/502324.html
Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB - For Sale
Weber 18" WSM
UDS
Bubba Keg
KCBS CBJ

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:04 pm
naterea medium
medium

has anyone added a 2nd grate under the first grate to hold a water bowl or drip pan or is it needed?
55 gallon UDS
Weber 22.5 Kettle
Charbroil Silver Smoker

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:27 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

naterea wrote:
has anyone added a 2nd grate under the first grate to hold a water bowl or drip pan or is it needed?

I've never heard of a UDS needing a drip pan, but a second grate is a feature on a lot of models of UDS I've seen, simply because it increases food capacity. That's reason enough to add another grate, I'd say.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:36 pm
naterea medium
medium

Most bullet style smokers have a water pan as well. I didn't know if people add the water pan to their UDS or if it was not necessary since the UDS is much larger than the others.

The only reason I would like the drip pan is to use the drippings to make a sauce or gravy for potatoes or something.

I guess it would be a bigger pain to have to remove all of that stuff in order to add more wood/charcoal for long cooks than its worth though...just curious.
55 gallon UDS
Weber 22.5 Kettle
Charbroil Silver Smoker

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:57 pm
smokenbrew medium-well
medium-well

Came home from the KCBS Judging class today to find that a buddy had dropped off a Weber kettle for me. Between him finding the kettle, my father-in-law giving me a barrel and then receiving the dial thermometer for Christmas I'll have the UDS built for next to nothing out of pocket.

Post Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:41 pm
SuperQue medium-rare
medium-rare

I just got my first 2 barrels today. I'll start gathering the hardware this week and hopefully have something tasty on next weekend. I can't wait!
Home Depot Guy: Stockin up on charcoal for the big game?
Me: No, I'm out. This is normal.

Post Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:51 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

How about making someting like this :)

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:02 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Z - I don't think we can call that a UDS, because it sure isn't an Ugly drum smoker at all. Nice rig! 8)
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:10 pm
SuperQue medium-rare
medium-rare

Well, I ordered a weed burner once I found out that our village doesn't allow open fires/pits so I had to resort to another option. Hopefully I can get a lot done this weekend in between green beers and make some progress. Ideally, I'd be cooking this Sunday, probably pork shoulder.
Home Depot Guy: Stockin up on charcoal for the big game?
Me: No, I'm out. This is normal.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:27 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Well, my buddy and I located some food grade drums that originally had orange juice in them. These are guaranteed food grade 55-gallon drums and they're $57 each, and they're right around the corner from where I live. Looks like I'll be soon on top of this project! :D
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat May 08, 2010 8:01 pm

I located a 100 gal propane tank and an old air compressor tank. The propane tank lays horizontal and we put the air compressor undereath it with a 4" wide connector spacing. we also installed a plate over the hole to deflect heat outward instead of straight up into the smoke tank. It works well and the thick propane tank holds heat fr a long time.
How do you put pictures on here. I can attach a photo if you would like to see it.
Sam Harper

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion