Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion chargriller mod help needed

chargriller mod help needed

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:40 pm
hanau raw
raw

been trying to find the mods with the high temp rope(?) that seals the door.
Could someone point me to it?

Like to see how everything is mounted to the grill,

Thanks

Post Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:33 am
jstewart well done
well done

I'm not sure which door you are referring to, but here is something I posted to another thread a while back. This shows where I put some of the material on the SFB tray. There is also a link that I've updated from the original posting as it was updated. Here's the link to the entire thread: http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... sc&start=0

Hope this answers your question.

jstewart wrote:
I had some problems with leaks on the SFB where the tray closes up against the end. I used pieces of aluminum foil for a while and that worked fine in terms of sealing things, but I didn't like the idea of having to replace pieces when they either burned and or fell off. After reading through a number of posts, I found some woodstove gasket materials on line. The following link has a lot of different materials and gasket cement for sale.

http://www.woodstove-outlet.com/woodstove/wgaskets.htm

I bought some of the window gasket with the adhesive strip on the back as well as some stove gasket (85" x 5/8").

I put some of the window gasket on as shown below and tried it a few times. It seemed like it helped, but I was still getting air flow through when I closed the vent.

I then took some of the gasket material (without adhesive backing) and used the cement and glued it all the way around on the tray itself. I also cut some short strips and glued them to the inside of the vent.

Since adding the material on the tray, it has worked a lot better. I'm fortunate in that the SFB seals tightly upgainst the main chamber and the lid seems to close fairly tight.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:53 pm
blackduckbuck medium-rare
medium-rare

jstewart..thanks for the links. But, I need some help, and maybe it will help Hanau also. How did you get the rope to stick?? I bought the same stuff and couldn't get the glue to hold the rope, it just fell right off. Do you have to completely sand the paint off before you apply the glue? Any help on how to get the rope to glue on would be greatly appreciated.

Post Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:07 pm
jstewart well done
well done

blackduckbuck wrote:
jstewart..thanks for the links. But, I need some help, and maybe it will help Hanau also. How did you get the rope to stick?? I bought the same stuff and couldn't get the glue to hold the rope, it just fell right off. Do you have to completely sand the paint off before you apply the glue? Any help on how to get the rope to glue on would be greatly appreciated.

One of the products from Rutland had an adhesive on the back of the rope. I lightly sanded (very lightly) and then used alcohol to clean the surface. The rope stayed on for 3-4 months, but didn't hold very well. Since then, I picked up some high temp silicone at Ace Hardware. I've used it to help seal the lids on the MC and the SFB as well as keeping the rope stuck to the drawer seal.

http://www.acehardware.com/search/index ... icone&sr=1
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:30 pm
blackduckbuck medium-rare
medium-rare

Thanks for the info...I'll pick some up and give it a try.

Post Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:45 pm
jstewart well done
well done

blackduckbuck wrote:
Thanks for the info...I'll pick some up and give it a try.

Hopefully the info helps. Let us know how it turns out!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:10 pm
hanau raw
raw

thanks for the link to the side box, i will be doing that one also.
I also was looking for the big grill lid.
It looks to me that they mounted angle iron to the grill and attached the rope to the angle iron.

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:49 pm
warthog1 medium-rare
medium-rare

Use high temperature silicone from an auto parts store. Will hold the rope nice and firm.
UDS, Char Griller, Webber 3
"TWO HUNGRY HOGS" BBQ team

Return to General Discussion